baumer

Texas Chainsaw 3D

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Since this is basically my review I'm just going to copy and paste it from the other thread.

Just got back from the 10PM showing. Absolutely terrible. Nowhere near into horror like I used to be but the film was one huge joke from the first frame to the last. I won't post any spoilers but the film has no climax and virtually no plot. Not all slasher films have to be bulletproof, or even close to it, but this is on a whole other level of terrible. If you liked the original and the Biel remake stay FAR away from this.

F.

The thing that was interesting about the movie is that it is a direct sequel to the original. It literally starts right after Sally escapes in the pickup truck. We jump ahead 20 years into 1994 (presumably) where the only living relative of Leatherface finds out that she was adopted and that Granny has died, leaving her a fucking huge house. How this house is so big and so refined and so renovated is never explained, but seeing as it was a shit hole in the original and then burns down in this one, I guess the insurance money gave them a brand new house.Heather and some friends decide to drive out to Texas to see the house. Along the way they pick up a hitchhiker who must have just finished doing P90X because he is ripped like you wouldn't believe. This guy serves no purpose except to be the first to die in the movie. The film has many, many problems, and imo the biggest one is that it tries to get you to like Leatherface. They try to make you feel sorry for him and because the town is full of rednecks who killed his family, we are supposed to look at them as being the bad guys. And it tries to manipulate you into feeling empathy for Leatherface. Here's the thing. Last time I checked, Leatherface killed...nay butchered 4 people in the original and he now just killed Heather's friend, boyfriend, his friend and some hitchhiker. And now we are supposed to root for him? Aaaaahhhhh NO! They even go so far as to make everyone but Leatherface an asshole in the movie. The hitchhiker is a thief, the local authorities are jerks and the boyfriend and hot friend are two timing cheaters. But no matter how you look at it, this is a serial killer and I do not feel sorry for him, in fact I wanted him to die.This version of TCM had some really good kills, including one fantastic part where a man is put on a meat hook and then cut in half with a chainsaw, very well done. So i enjoyed this part of the film. But most of it is a waste and the 3D is atrocious. I didn't hate it as much as Ryne but as a huge fan of the original, the third and the remake, this is a huge letdown.One thing though, Alexandra Deddario is stupid hot, like ridiculous.5/10

• Like 1

Movies that open in January should just be called "F**k you, it's January." Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters? "F**k you, it's January." Texas Chainsaw 3D? "F**k you, it's January." A Haunted House? Parker? Movie 43? Mama? Say it with me...

• Like 4

The thing that was interesting about the movie is that it is a direct sequel to the original. It literally starts right after Sally escapes in the pickup truck. We jump ahead 20 years into 1994 (presumably) where the only living relative of Leatherface finds out that she was adopted and that Granny has died, leaving her a fucking huge house. How this house is so big and so refined and so renovated is never explained, but seeing as it was a shit hole in the original and then burns down in this one, I guess the insurance money gave them a brand new house.Heather and some friends decide to drive out to Texas to see the house. Along the way they pick up a hitchhiker who must have just finished doing P90X because he is ripped like you wouldn't believe. This guy serves no purpose except to be the first to die in the movie. The film has many, many problems, and imo the biggest one is that it tries to get you to like Leatherface. They try to make you feel sorry for him and because the town is full of rednecks who killed his family, we are supposed to look at them as being the bad guys. And it tries to manipulate you into feeling empathy for Leatherface. Here's the thing. Last time I checked, Leatherface killed...nay butchered 4 people in the original and he now just killed Heather's friend, boyfriend, his friend and some hitchhiker. And now we are supposed to root for him? Aaaaahhhhh NO! They even go so far as to make everyone but Leatherface an asshole in the movie. The hitchhiker is a thief, the local authorities are jerks and the boyfriend and hot friend are two timing cheaters. But no matter how you look at it, this is a serial killer and I do not feel sorry for him, in fact I wanted him to die.This version of TCM had some really good kills, including one fantastic part where a man is put on a meat hook and then cut in half with a chainsaw, very well done. So i enjoyed this part of the film. But most of it is a waste and the 3D is atrocious. I didn't hate it as much as Ryne but as a huge fan of the original, the third and the remake, this is a huge letdown.One thing though, Alexandra Deddario is stupid hot, like ridiculous.5/10

I think we had VERY similar qualms with the film they were just much more offputting for me. When I was walking out of the theater I looked at my friend said the exact same thing about the fact that Heather was working with the man (family member, cousin, whatever) who just butchered 4 people, 3 of them her best friends. Again, no these films aren't usually known for their plot but it's common sense that in 1994 (as you said, the timeline switches to 20 years later) iPhones did not exist.Other than the first kill in the basement I just found it completely uninvolving, 0% scary and a complete waste of time. It also didn't help that the theater I go to in Nashville is only showing the film in 3D and so I went ahead and paid the surcharge thinking it would at least be a good time. But again, the 3D medium is barely even used so I couldn't even give the film leeway there. And yes, Alexandra Daddario is just...whew. Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

I don't know who's responsible for these ideas, who the culprits are, the filmmakers or the studio execs, but I absolutely hate it when they attempt to humanize or demystify the antagonists in horror movies. They did the same in the 2003 remake, with him being bullied or having a skin condition or some silly shit like that. Or in Zombie's Halloween remake, where they showed Michael Myers' entire childhood. I don't wanna know these things, I don't wanna get to know them or empathize with them. Michael Myers is pure evil. He was born that way and should stay that way. Same with Leatherface. He's an idiotic monster-man, plain and simple..

• Like 3

Yes, exactly. In this film, the locals burn down the Sawyer house and all the Sawyers die in it. Then at the end, or near the end, when Heather finds out the locals did so, we are supposed to hate the locals, we are supposed to brand them as murderers. The way they make you hate them by turning them into rednecks who chew tobacco and spit tobacco and have poor manners and so on. But Leatherface is evil, plain and simple. He should not be liked or admired, the man is a psychopathic murderer......period.

• Like 1

Yes, exactly. In this film, the locals burn down the Sawyer house and all the Sawyers die in it. Then at the end, or near the end, when Heather finds out the locals did so, we are supposed to hate the locals, we are supposed to brand them as murderers. The way they make you hate them by turning them into rednecks who chew tobacco and spit tobacco and have poor manners and so on. But Leatherface is evil, plain and simple. He should not be liked or admired, the man is a psychopathic murderer......period.

Shouldn't the local hillbillies have been commended for that? :) Edited by Don Niam The Stingray

Shouldn't the local hillbillies have been commended for that? :)

Yep, or at least gone to jail for it too....but not only do they not go to jail, one becomes mayor of the town.

I really enjoyed this! I liked how it took place after the original TCM. I also thought it was a pretty scary movie, but I do admit that it literally stopped being scary at all at the end when they tried turning Leatherface into an anti-hero. I liked the ending, it just wasn't scary....at all. Overall, loved it, and it kinda seemed that it was setup for a sequel....which I will be looking forward to!B+ (Would be A- if it didn't stop being scary at the end)