Ezen Baklattan

CAYOM VI - Discussion Thread

I hope you guys didn't do your top 25 too early as the biggest and craziest film of CAYOM 2.0 history has just arrived.  :D

:lol: don't worry. I've read a total of zero films. (Besides expedecade which I preread for Blank)

No it's not yours. Why, does a film of yours have an obnoxious running time? :P

I'm talking about Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. Giant Spiders being 4.75 hours long.

No, it's just I debated cutting some runtimes down a little bit. And I decided against it in 2 cases and for it in one. I thought that you might've thought one of the 2 movies that I didn't cut the runtime down on was too long. :lol:

Right off the bat, you put me in a very compromising position here, with trying to balance realism with entertainment/fairness with actuals. A 4 and a half hour movie is a hard sale, no matter what it is...I'm confounded with how to approach doing the actuals for that monster.

It's a Grindhouse film, so you get to watch three films. Triple bill sounds like a good marketing tool. Giant Spider 2 opened to 47M and the follow-up is bound to do more than 50m OW, which is given due to the fact that the last Chuck and Liam flick opened near 60m. This film don't need matinee showings. 2 showings per day(3 during the weekend), all the late shows sold out. That on paper would result lower OW due to limited show times, but that's balanced out with the higher ticket price. Plus it's in IMAX 3D. 

The CAYOM OW record is safe. For now... lol

Edited by Alfred Unchained

Right off the bat, you put me in a very compromising position here, with trying to balance realism with entertainment/fairness with actuals. A 4 and a half hour movie is a hard sale, no matter what it is...I'm confounded with how to approach doing the actuals for that monster.

Honestly it's going to drop hard from the previous films, because audiences will not go see a 4.75 hour film for the most part anymore. I know we get lenient with many films here but this is something that sort of crosses the line and goes into "too big to succeed."

Using myself as an example, even if I loved all of the CN&LN and GS films, I would not go see this in theaters because it's too damn long a time sitting on my ass for too much money when the DVD/Blu-Ray would cost the same (for infinite usage) and I could stop after each segment, do other things, and come back later to watch more.

Edited by 4815162342

Wrong. You don't get plastic spiders crawling down from the ceiling in your home watching dvd. It's an event with intermissions. I have a local cinema that has Alien, Nightmare On Elm Street and Saw marathons, we're talking about 12-14hrs and it's always sold out.

Wrong. You don't get plastic spiders crawling down from the ceiling in your home watching dvd. It's an event with intermissions. I have a local cinema that has Alien, Nightmare On Elm Street and Saw marathons, we're talking about 12-14hrs and it's always sold out.

Personal anecdotal evidence works for and against it.

I admire the ambition of the project, but there comes a point when some hard reality has to be taken into account.

Personal anecdotal evidence works for and against it.

I admire the ambition of the project, but there comes a point when some hard reality has to be taken into account.

I see where you're coming from, but reality was put on hold when Giant Spider 2 opened to 47m and Liam and Chuck to 57m. ;) I'm not arguing that there might be a drop, but you mentioned a hard drop. Maybe the film will get decent WoM and get event tag and nice legs.

See, the view of it was... we could release all three films as separate films... or we could release all three of them in one go, Grindhouse-style. Although, I agree, gross will go down, I believe that eventually it would make a profit on DVD, and it wouldn't kill either of the franchise.

However, I might be lowering it to 258 min, but that wouldn't help that much either. :P