CoolioD1

DGA Nominees

Ric is right. Close-up will have Brit vote behind him though they couldn`t get him GG. Not a big star for those star fuckers, eh Close-up?

Duh, GG's are the ultimate Star fuckers, they gave their directing award to Scorsese over Hazanvicius last year, and Madonna best song. :lol:And Hooper's entire chances depends on BAFTAs in about 8 hours. There's 800-850 BAFTA members that are also Academy members, and they're more concentrated in the big 8 categories (Picture, Directing, Acting, Screenwriting) so a strong showing at BAFTA is essential if it wants to score director, or 2+ acting noms. Edited by riczhang

In fairness, Scorsese totally deserved to win last year over Hazanvicius...

I didn't particularly love either movie's direction. They were both good, but nothing spectacular. I preferred Haz only because I liked his movie better. If it was up to me Tomas Alfredson would've won.

IMO Hooper didn't do a bad job. The film itself is far more ambitious than The King's Speech and I have to give him credit for pulling off the live singing (of which mostly works) the way he did. But if you ask me, look at what Hooper brought to Les Mis and then look at what Tarantino brought to Django Unchained, PTA brought to The Master... hell, even what Russell brought to SLP and tell me that Hooper is more worthy of praise.

But if you ask me, look at what Hooper brought to Les Mis and then look at what Tarantino brought to Django Unchained, PTA brought to The Master... hell, even what Russell brought to SLP and tell me that Hooper is more worthy of praise.

You see, that's where we differ. I don't think Tarantino brought anything to Django other than make it feel overlong. The only one I would potentially agree with is what PTA brought to the Master.

I really think this is going to be Affleck's year. Not that I'm Confuscious or anything by saying this but I've been saying that since I first saw Argo. Spielberg and Bigelow have very strong outings of course but I really think it is Ben's time. I just hope that if AFfleck doesn't win then it is either SS or KB.....if Mr. Magnifying Glass wins, I'll throw up in my mouth a little.

I'm not sure about Tom Hooper getting nominated. People in this thread say he'll get in because he'll have support from the British Academy members, but he snubbed by BAFTA (plus he didn't even win Director from them for KS back in the day) so it's seems Brits don't even like Hooper as much as Hollywood does.

I don't think Affleck wins, but this is still a very important milestone since it solidifies once and for all his skill and range as a director (because his first two films were both Boston crime flicks). He won't win, but Argo is Steo 1 in convincing AMPAS that in the future his strong outings are truly deserving.

Hooper cannot win. I know my opnion doesn't mean much but I would really like to see Affleck win, but if he doesn't, then Bigelow or Spielberg or QT of course. Just not Hooper.