Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I'm hoping that something unexpected wins the PGA and SAG just to make everything once again interesting.

Even if SAG and PGA go for something else, at this point, it is clearly a two-horse race between SLP and Lincoln and nothing will change that unless for some reason LoP starts getting some love with the guilds like winning the PGA. That would make things interesting and unpredictable. But, otherwise, SLP vs. Lincoln!!!Glad to see my favorite film of the year getting so much love.

The nominations this year are the complete antithesis of predictable.

To each their own I guess. Aside from the total shunning of Rises, most of the nominations aren't a really a surprise. There were a lot of "Oscar bait" films this year, and most of them got nominated.

Even if SAG and PGA go for something else, at this point, it is clearly a two-horse race between SLP and Lincoln and nothing will change that unless for some reason LoP starts getting some love with the guilds like winning the PGA. That would make things interesting and unpredictable. But, otherwise, SLP vs. Lincoln!!!Glad to see my favorite film of the year getting so much love.

I want a race to the finish and the envelop opening to be absolutely tense. If nothing wins big at the guilds the race will be fascinating to watch. Otherwise not so much.

Having 4 acting nominations ain't as big a deal as it used to be. And having a nomination in every acting category is nice and all, but the awards narrative still lies in Lincoln's backcourt because it has the most nominations, it has the Spielberg/DDL/Field three-time narrative, it has the American context, and so on.For SLP to win, it has to join The Departed as the only film since 2000 to win that did not have the most or second most nominations. The nomination in every major category narrative SLP has pales in comparison to The Departed's narrative: "It's Finally Scorsese's Fucking Time."As for the accolades, Lincoln has won substantially more precursor awards in the major categories than SLP has, so your argument doesn't go far there.

Lincoln is the frontrunner, yes, but it is far form a lock. And, wtf. What do you mean that getting nominated in all the acting categories isn't a big deal. SLP got nominated in eveyr major category. Few films have that going for them. And, I am sure those few that were nominated in every cat, almost all of them won. Being nominated in every major category is a far greater achievement than getting 12 noms. It isn't always about the numbers.
  • Like 1