Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Remember when Whoopi joked about Luhrmann being snubbed for Moulin Rouge? "I guess it just directed itself"? This is that to the nth degree.

I don't get the entire hoopla everyone bitches about every year we have movies nominated without their directors. It's funny as a joke, but some people honestly use it as a serious argument point. Especially now. There's 9 movies nominated for BP, and only 5 for BD. Obviously movies will miss out. Even before, it's perfectly feasible for a person to think that these 5 movies were the best directed of the year and think a different set at the best movies of the year. When people complain about "it directed itself" it seems like they think the only aspect of a movie is their director. They forget that actors, writers, and etc. also make the movie great. It's not like the academy doesn't think there's a director, or thinks that a movie directed itself. They're simply saying in their way that they thought your direction wasn't up to snuff per se for their top 5 of the year standards. 

Edited by riczhang

I don't get the entire hoopla everyone bitches about every year we have movies nominated without their directors. Especially now. There's 9 movies nominated for BP, and only 5 for BD. Obviously movies will miss out. Even before, it's perfectly feasible for a person to think that these 5 movies were the best directed of the year and think a different set at the best movies of the year. When people complain about "it directed itself" it seems like they think the only aspect of a movie is their director. They forget that actors, writers, and etc. also make the movie great. It's not like the academy doesn't think there's a director, or thinks that a movie directed itself. They're simply saying in their way that they thought your direction wasn't up to snuff per se for their top 5 of the year standards. 

I understand where you're coming from, but any movie that wins Picture without a Director nod is a VERY odd occurrence. And Argo isn't exactly Life of Pi, where the techs play a huge role.

I understand where you're coming from, but any movie that wins Picture without a Director nod is a VERY odd occurrence. And Argo isn't exactly Life of Pi, where the techs play a huge role.

Of course. But, what I'm referring to isn't even winning picture. People on IMDB bitch when the BP nominees don't get BD nods.  (And if there's a lone director nominee they bitch about how the director directed nothing :P)

Edited by riczhang

I'm just not comfortable predicting an Argo win. Especially since I really don't think it's winning screenplay. I have a very hard time buying a non-directing nominee  with possibly only one other win (editing) getting Best Picture. I won't be surprised if it happens of course, and it is the frontrunner, but my gut says Lincoln still.

• Like 2

What if Argo is this year's Apollo 13? Will it happen again?

I'm guessing it will. As I see, Lincoln could very well win the gold. Acording to precursors, Argo is seen as a frontrunner, but it's not invulnerable, and it does not have the crazyness support that did have films like Slumdog or The Artist. Even films with stronger support than Argo (Brokeback Mtn) or Apollo 13 failed to take BP.

What if Lincoln didn't finish first with DGA, PGA, Golbes and SAG by a really small margin?

And what if the Academy voters start to feel that all these precursors are too many for a film like Argo? The voters for other films can still change their minds to support Lincoln against Argo.

I'm guessing it will. As I see, Lincoln could very well win the gold. Acording to precursors, Argo is seen as a frontrunner, but it's not invulnerable, and it does not have the crazyness support that did have films like Slumdog or The Artist. Even films with stronger support than Argo (Brokeback Mtn) or Apollo 13 failed to take BP.

What if Lincoln didn't finish first with DGA, PGA, Golbes and SAG by a really small margin?

And what if the Academy voters start to feel that all these precursors are too many for a film like Argo? The voters for other films can still change their minds to support Lincoln against Argo.

True.  At least SAG was Lincoln's to lose if there wasn't pity party.

My preds / What it seems

BP - Lincoln / Argo

BD - Spielberg / Spielberg

BA - DDL / DDL

BActress - JLaw / Chastain

BSA - TLJ / DeNiro

BSActress - Hathaway / Hathaway

BOScr -  Amour / Amour

BAScr - Lincoln / Argo

Score - Pi / Argo

Song - Skyfall / Skyfall

Cinem - Pi / Pi

Editing - Argo / Argo

Prod Dis - Pi / Pi

Makeup - Hobbit / Hobbit

SoundM - Miserables / Argo

SoundE - Pi / Pi

VisualE - Pi / Pi

Costume - Anna K / Anna K

Animated - Frankenweenie / Frankenweeinie

Foreign - Amour / Amour

If Lincoln had support somewhere other then DDL it would have shown up by now. 

Kushner got a special award from the WGA so it's definitely in the running for another major category. 

Director is a complete tossup. Spielberg, Lee and Haneke all have reasonable shots. 

• Like 1