Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I thought his story was very fascinating, but he himself was very guarded, he wasn't a hugely charismatic guy who wanted to spill everything about his story like the Man on Wire guy or something. But they didn't even interview Rodriguez that much anyway.

The filmmakers probably shot plenty of interview footage, but then went "We cant use this" because the guy mostly just nodded with a faint smile and said "yeah, it was good, yeah".

Argo has 5 noms, Lincoln has 12, so it's a fact that it was more liked the day the noms were announced. Now whether Argo sweeping the Guilds changed their mind or not is a different story, but I just don't see why Lincoln wouldn't be in the lead for the AMPAS. The date change of the voting made it clear to us that all the usual pre-Oscar awards are meaningless this year in terms of predicting the Oscar.

Argo has 7 NOMS!!!!

Edited by efialtes76

I dont get the hate either.

It isn`t hate. It`s just acknowledgement that she is slagging young competitor in a very unsubtle way.

As for depserate camaipgns, Clinton appearance tops it all. Sorry but Leogend has nothing on Lincoln. At least her FYC poked fun at FYC madness as much as they were "Please give me Oscah".

Chastain is behaving like she`s one of the real long overdue actors such as Leo, Brad Pitt, Garry Oldman,etc. LOL. That isn`t hate, just getting facts straight.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

I love Bradley Cooper's narrative for winning: "My biggest award is to be nominated, really, just being glad to be there amongst the best" fake modesty-pay homage to my old peers schtick, "I carried Leo DiCaprio's luggage while I worked a worthless job before making it big, you know". Way to lose buddy, DDL will eat you alive... :lol:

Edited by dashrendar44

I agree Hathaway's acceptance speech at the Globes was not very cool, but her acceptance speech at the SAG was genuine. She was excited. And why shouldn't she be? Every award is voted on by different people. So to win something that is voted on by other actors is a huge honour. I didn't get anything from her speech at the SAG except a humble actress truly honoured to win. What do you want her to say? "Thanks guys, but seriously, I knew I was going to win this. It's just my year. Sally, you're a legend but time to take a back seat to me...I rule."Some of you guys are just looking for things to complain about.....strange....you remind me of my wife now.As for JLAW, she has been funny, and you know REAL since she has been nominated and won. Her schtick on sNL was funny and I'm sure she has spoken with all of her fellow nominees a myriad of times and they have shared a laugh about it...except for Chastain who looks like her head is going to spin 360 degrees only to launch pea soup, every time Lawrence beats her. Jlaw seems real, some of the others seem fake.

• Like 3

Lawrence seems real and genuine, especially since her career has literally exploded over the course of a couple years. To go a pretty-much nobody to major Hollywood presence in that span of time at her age is quite an awe-worthy experience.

• Like 3

I agree Hathaway's acceptance speech at the Globes was not very cool, but her acceptance speech at the SAG was genuine. She was excited. And why shouldn't she be? Every award is voted on by different people. So to win something that is voted on by other actors is a huge honour. I didn't get anything from her speech at the SAG except a humble actress truly honoured to win. What do you want her to say? "Thanks guys, but seriously, I knew I was going to win this. It's just my year. Sally, you're a legend but time to take a back seat to me...I rule."Some of you guys are just looking for things to complain about.....strange....you remind me of my wife now.As for JLAW, she has been funny, and you know REAL since she has been nominated and won. Her schtick on sNL was funny and I'm sure she has spoken with all of her fellow nominees a myriad of times and they have shared a laugh about it...except for Chastain who looks like her head is going to spin 360 degrees only to launch pea soup, every time Lawrence beats her. Jlaw seems real, some of the others seem fake.

Agree people are really catty lol
  • Like 1

I love Bradley Cooper's narrative for winning: "My biggest award is to be nominated, really, just being glad to be there amongst the best" fake modesty-pay homage to my old peers schtick, "I carried Leo DiCaprio's luggage while I worked a worthless job before making it big, you know". Way to lose buddy, DDL will eat you alive... :lol:

Cooper knows his biggest honor was Critics Choice win for comedy category. I think it's a big enough prize to keep him happy, along with the Oscar nom.

Is Chastain worse than Hathaway? I was shocked by that red carpet interview... she seemed wasted.

Chastain seems like she thinks she deserves this one. And I really don't get it. She was good, very good, but not award worthy.

EADLINE: And here I’d read in The Hollywood
Reporter that you’d be at Barack Obama’s inauguration today. On behalf
of Deadline, thanks for cancelling. He’s the leader of the free world,
so this can’t be about me. Is Nikki Finke that powerful?

WEINSTEIN: (Long pause). I’ll say yes (laughs). The thing I love about Nikki Finke is, I’ve got Silver Linings Playbook in its 12th
week, grossing $13 + million. Unheard of for a movie to complete the
platform it had and go wide like this, and it kills it, the #3 movie in
the country, beating all the new releases. Does she write,
“Outstanding!” “Boy they were smart!” “God, they’re going to do $100
million,” or “Shit I was wrong.” Nothing. The movie’s at $58 million now
and we’re 6 weeks until the Oscars. Silver Lining’s is going to gross $100 million. And when it does, I suppose she’ll just write “’Silver Linings grossed $100 million.’”

DEADLINE: Was Quentin robbed with no nomination for Best Director?

WEINSTEIN: I don’t want to use the word “robbed,”
but Quentin Tarantino not in the running for Best Director? He is one of
the greatest directors of our time. Here’s what I think happened on Django.
We finished the movie December 1. We didn’t show it until a few days
later. The race was early this year: the voting cutoff was January 3. We
tried to show it to people in theaters, not on DVD. It’s an epic movie
and that man put his whole life and heart into this. It’s his most
important movie, his most important subject matter, and the idea of DVDs
stopped me cold. And I stopped them. I wouldn’t do it.

DEADLINE: What do you mean? Even I have an Oscar DVD.

WEINSTEIN: I delayed them. I wanted people to see it
on the big screen. I told Quentin we’d probably pay the price at the
Oscars, but it was the right way to see an epic period movie about a man
who does not give up. Eventually, we gave out the DVDs but we paid the
price for being late. We paid no price as far as the gigantic business
the movie’s doing. It’s the biggest of Quentin’s career. After we put
our heart and soul into the movie, the Oscar campaign was secondary. But
make no mistake about it – we got five nominations including Best
Picture, and we only had one week. We sent the DVDs out on December 17.

Interview with Harvey From Deadline. Great read.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/mike-fleming-qas-harvey-weinstein-on-oscars-sundance-obama-and-getting-the-web-to-pay-up-for-borrowed-content/

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2