Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

It's very crowd-pleasing but I thought it was one of his weaker movies, honestly.

Russell is probably one of the most talented director with actors. He gets amazing performances from everybody. That is truly a unique talent.He got 7 acting nominations with two movies (SLP and The Fighter), that's got to be some kind of a record, no ??? Edited by The Futurist

Yes, Russell deserved his nom. And I think those 4 acting nominations got him there. (Though the academy are still idiots for snubbing PTA for the same reason).Also, is there ANYWHERE I can watch Amour legally?

It's being rolled out very slowly since December. I'm seeing it again in theatres next week.

Russell is probably one of the most talented with actors. He gets amazing performances from everybody. That is truly a unique talent.He got 7 acting nominations with two movies (SLP and The Fighter), that got to be some kind of a record, no ???

Not to take away from the performances he helped bring out, but isn't that more a tip of the hat to Harvey?

Sure. I'll defend it like I defended him when some bad mouthed his nom for The Fighter. He deserves it for getting such wonderful performances out of the whole cast.

I was probably one of those people that thought he was pretty lucky to get the Fighter nom, but it's true - getting great performances is a big part of directing.

Lincoln is going to sweep. SLP has 8 noms, which is truly impressive, but how many cats does it have a shot to win?BP - can happenBD - Russell won't upset Lincoln, even if SLP wins BPBest actor - very unlikely that Cooper beats DDLBest actress - JLaw has it in the bagBest supp. actor - it's anyone's game, but realistically De Niro is behind Jones and Hoffman and I'd say even WaltzBest supp. actress - it's Fields vs. HathawayBest adapted screenplay - I still think it's going to be Lincoln, but Russell might win this oneBest editing - no chanceSo it has a realistic shot at 5 cats and 2 of them are very unlikely. I think the best case scenario for SLP is 3 wins, screenplay, JLaw and either Cooper or De Niro.

no offense, but we really have no idea what is going to win. This year has shown us one thing and that is you don't know anything about the academy. Nothing is locked. I think it's anyone this year.

Harvey was not involved in The Fighter.As ffar as actors' performances, you should read what actors are saying about Russell's MO on a set, it is totally unique and manic.And so much for the supposed insuferable Russell reputation.

Edited by The Futurist

Harvey was not involved in The Fighter.AS for the actor s perfoamnces, you should read what actors are saying about Russell's MO on a set, it is totally unique and manic.And so much for the supposed insuferable Russell reputation.

He's certainly chilled out a lot since Huckabees (a movie I seem to be in the minority for actually enjoying). Edited by Hatebox

After seeing what I saw today at the nominations, I really start to doubt that Danie Day-Lewis is locked for winning Best Actor. I have a feeling that Cooper is going to win it.

Cooper has the best performance this year imo.

I think that being able to get fantastic performances out of actors as a director is just as impressive and important as having fantastic vision and shots. Maybe it's because I still act on stage, but directors certainly have a major role in the quality of the performances. This is especially true for Russell, considering that previously, Bradley Cooper hadn't shown any sign that he had that kind of talent and De Niro had been mailing it in for years. Ang Lee is a great example of the other kind of directorial brilliance- Pi is a gorgeous film because of the shots and ideas Lee worked with. Tarantino, IMO, is the best combination of both.

• Like 3