Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

Concerning August, I just looked up its director, John Wells, and he's done directing-wise nothing except The Company Men (a Sundance recession drama from 2010 with Affleck and TLJ that got a mixed critical reception and audiences never showed up to see it) and some TV episodes of Shameless and ER. That alone makes me hesitant to lock it up as a major awards player, because this guy isn't even in the Tom-Hooper-before-TKS league. At best, he seems like a Tate Taylor, and that guy was never really in the Best Director conversation, which means the film stood no chance of winning BP. I'm more than willing to believe that August has all it needs to get three or four people nominated for acting, but I can't be certain about anything more. Uninspired direction can turn the greatest source material into mediocrity.

It's Weinstein and Clooney's production, and etc. I have absolute faith. No one should doubt Harvey Weinstein ever again after this season.
  • Like 1

Colorful and wild romp directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Huh.

From the plot descriptions I've heard of Inherent Vice it sounds it could be something that could be more 90s era Anderson that what he's doing with his aesthetic currently?

Boogie Nights more or less fits that description, actually.

Yep. That's what I'm hoping it turns out to be (though I love post 2000 Anderson). A return to a Boogie Nights-like aesthetic would be great, IMO. Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 1

It's Weinstein and Clooney's production, and etc. I have absolute faith. No one should doubt Harvey Weinstein ever again after this season.

I never have absolute faith, especially with a year still to go. Weinstein isn't God. Any time I get a desire to lock something up as a BP nominee months before anyone has even seen it, I just remember Nine. That was Weinstein, too.

I never have absolute faith, especially with a year still to go. Weinstein isn't God. Any time I get a desire to lock something up as a BP nominee months before anyone has even seen it, I just remember Nine. That was Weinstein, too.

9 was a film that was based on a musical that was a sequel to a film. No one liked that musical anyways. August is the most acclaimed, and lauded as the best play in god knows how long. The source material itself is of totally different standings. Nine was horribly adapted, whereas August`s screenplay was adapted by the very person who wrote the script. There's quite a bit of difference already.

I`d predict Blanchett only to spite Fishnets, but I can`t campaign against Streep`s Oscar number 4. Get it girl. :P

Also, Watts in Diana. I wonder if she'll finally get her Oscar with a biopic, a la Mirren in The Queen.

A few more contenders for next year, I think.David O. Russell's next movie - good plot and it's building up one hell of a cast.Bennet Miller's Foxcatcher - I've heard great stuff for the script for this and from what I've heard the role Steve Carrel has is very baity and very different from what we've seen this guy do before.Paul Greengrass movie with Tom Hanks about Somali pirate hostages... maybe.

I'm with riczhang on August. I'll be very, very surprised if a poor choice has been made with the director.Something people haven't mentioned yet is Reitman's Labor Day with Kate Winslet.

Agreed on Labor Day. Young Adult was a fluke (and a very undeserved one), but I think Reitman could easily be friends with the Academy again with LD. Although I would love it if he managed, at the same time, to dig deeper into darker and less sentimental filmmaking, an example of which Young Adult was. It's easily his best work, IMO.

Also, Watts in Diana. I wonder if she'll finally get her Oscar with a biopic, a la Mirren in The Queen.

She`ll have to be off the charts and her film would have to be good too. Mirren's performance was an all time great performance and her movie IMO should've won BP. Scorsese for BD though.

I still haven't seen all of The Queen. I watch most of it when it's on TV, but I never bother to just sit down and throw in the DVD to finish it.

Frankly speaking its not that great of a movie. Helen Mirren is good in it, but the movie is average