Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

The Monuments Men, if executed well, should be big. Ocean's 11 + WW2 + THAT CAST

Yeah. That and August. It's basically got a Brilliant Cast + Weinstein + Best Play in A Decade or more accolades. Could see August and Monuments duking it out for the win in the end.

I kinda doubt it. It sounds like a boldfaced DISNEY drama and those don't tend to do very well with either critics or the Academy.

It's not really about Disney; it's about Travers and about movie making, which the Academy loves. Based off the script, which is great, I'd say Emma Thompson has a Best Actress nomination locked already.

Coens' new movie sounds great to me. And even if it didn't, I'd trust the Coens enough. I'll be delighted if Oscar Isaac's lead role is meaty enough to get him into the awards conversation. Guy's a great, underrated actor. I'm also curious to see how Timberlake will fare going from Fincher to the Coens.

I need to see Weinstein's list before I can truly say. August is the frontrunner so far, with Monuments second. I hope Blanchett gets Oscar number two :wub: (I hope Fishnets doesn't see this).

I`d predict Blanchett only to spite Fishnets, but I can`t campaign against Streep`s Oscar number 4. Get it girl. :P

Concerning August, I just looked up its director, John Wells, and he's done directing-wise nothing except The Company Men (a Sundance recession drama from 2010 with Affleck and TLJ that got a mixed critical reception and audiences never showed up to see it) and some TV episodes of Shameless and ER. That alone makes me hesitant to lock it up as a major awards player, because this guy isn't even in the Tom-Hooper-before-TKS league. At best, he seems like a Tate Taylor, and that guy was never really in the Best Director conversation, which means the film stood no chance of winning BP. I'm more than willing to believe that August has all it needs to get three or four people nominated for acting, but I can't be certain about anything more. Uninspired direction can turn the greatest source material into mediocrity.

Inherent Vice doesn't sound even remotely like anything that would attract the Academy, though. To me it sounds like a colorful and wild romp more in line with something like Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. And if that's indeed the case, I'd trust PTA to embrace it rather than try to make it more Oscar-friendly.