Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

^For sure. Huge tech contender, I think Lubezki could finally win. I'm not sure the academy will fully appreicate hard sci-fi like this. Unless it's a big hit which feels unlikely.

If it's in 3D Digital he's probably got a very good shot. 

I doubt Nebraska will be in serious contention as I recall Payne saying it's just a small, low-budget comedy that's not really ambitious. He might have been downplaying things, of course, but I don't think we should automatically assume it's going to be another Sideways/Descendants.

I doubt Nebraska will be in serious contention as I recall Payne saying it's just a small, low-budget comedy that's not really ambitious. He might have been downplaying things, of course, but I don't think we should automatically assume it's going to be another Sideways/Descendants.

Perhaps. Bruce Dern seems a likely contender, and a Screenplay nod is probably assured. Payne's basically in Woody/Tarantino territory now. 

After reading up on the true story of the Monuments Men this morning, I've come to two conclusions: 1) I'd like to read the book, 2) It sounds like something the Academy would eat up with its bare hands.

Clooney is going to be at the oscars every year from now on :

acting, writing, directing, producing ..

I suppose these are my "year in advance predictions", but I like to think of them as "ten films I'm throwing at the wall and seeing what sticks for fun".

August: Osage Country - I'm somewhat wait-and-see about it, but Harvey will push.

Before Midnight - This could be the critics' darling.

Captain Phillips - The first of two Hanks contenders. Call it a comeback.

Foxcatcher - Bennett Miller has a lot of respect, and it's a passion project.

Gravity - I think it'll be the big tech contender so with ten slots I'm guessing it'll get in (i.e. Avatar, Hugo, Life of Pi).

Labor Day - Reitman.

Monuments Men - Cloon.

Nebraska - Payne.

Rush - Howard.

Saving Mr. Banks - The second of the Hanks contenders. The script is very well-regarded. 

I can't wait to see how many I'm wrong about, which is part of the fun  :lol: