Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

It was likely right on the bubble for three different categories (lead actress, original screenplay, supporting actor).

Perhaps I'm too pessimistic, but based on its BO gross and how it fared with critics' awards I have to wonder how many voters even bothered to watch it. Even if enough did, it's a divisive movie, and very different from Reitman and Cody's past work. Original screenplay might have been a possibility - they like to put edgier movies in there, and the category wasn't too stacked last year - but Theron had to contend with like 20 other actresses and I doubt anyone would have cared enough for Oswalt.

Saving Mr Banks I think depends on the quality of the film but I could see Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson getting nominations. It'll be interesting how Disney sell it to general audiences because it doesn't sound like the sort of film they would normally do,August Osage County is an incredible play but it'll interesting how they adapt it for film,

• Like 1

Very, VERY positive reactions to Before Midnight at Sundance. I don't think it's inconceivable that the Academy would nominate it in order to recognize Linklater's trilogy as a whole.

Yeah. Very excited for it. One of my most anticipated of the year. On a completely unrelated note, is the Coen movie still coming out in 3 weeks?

Does Before Midnight have a distributor yet?

SPCDefinitely interested in seeing the Cannes line-up this year. They've been on a roll recently. Amour and ToL won the Palme. Harvey bought Artist at Cannes and Beasts was screened out of competition there as well.