15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Holy Motors is a baffling thing to witness to say the least. Holy Motors is often wildly original, other times very frustrating but never is it boring or uninteresting. This here is a movie that tries to do something new, and I think it succeeds fairly well. There are epic standout scenes, like the spontaneous accordion concert and the fucking bizarre episode with a sewer dwelling goblin raping Eva Mendes. The more crazy it gets the more fun it is to watch and go "WTF is this". Unfortunately in the third act it starts to get rather slow, but it ends pretty well. I cant praise Denis Lavant enough, so I'll just say he is a human chameleon.

4/5

• Like 2

My favorite movie of 2012. And my favorite performance of the year too... sorry DDL.

Even as a pure piece of entertainment, Holy Motors works splendidly. It's very funny and engaging and smart and even emotional, which is crazy given how wacky a movie it is. But as Carax's ode to his wife (who died before he could finish the movie), it's a personal and haunting film. Even the funny stuff like the talking cars scene at the end has a sort of melancholy to it. I don't even think it's about the digital revolution (cameras so small and lifelike that you don't see them when you perform your act), though some have argued it is. I think it argues for the importance of movies- for the "beauty of the act," as Oscar puts it- because it argues what movies can do. And for that, I love this movie.

And the intermission accordion scene is one of the most purely fun piece of cinema ever. I've rewatched it on YouTube 20+ times.

• Like 1

Oh, crap. I loved this. Lavant gives the performance of the year, and the entire movie's an incredible ride, one that manages to be extremely entertaining and thought provoking at the same time.

Between this and Cloud Atlas, I'm gonna have a very hard time finding the best movie of the year.

• Like 1

This film is very different. I liked it a lot but I am going to have to wait awhile before giving it grade. But I will it is in my top ten of year. 

The film is very original and Lavant is excellent in the film award worthy. The film is very interesting and keeps you entertained the whole time.

I spent the whole movie trying to decipher it, trying to find some meaning and I failed miserably. Then I searched on internet for explanations and I found out that the movie's message was about me, the supposedly ignorant audience that can't see appreciate the "real" cinema anymore. My opinion is that some people, like the director Leos Carax, can't live in the present, only in the past. One of the most pretentious movies I've seen. F (00)

Edited by Goffe

Let's be honest, in reality nobody really knows just what the fuck is going on here.  That being said, this was destined to be the type of film in which hordes of people proclaim they "get it."  Outside of some themes of nostalgia and yearning for the past, I'm not sure there's anything to "get."

Make no mistake, there is nonetheless cinema gold to be had here, and as a result it's an immensely watchable film.  There is clear talent on display which made it all the more frustrating for me that I just couldn't get into it.  

I typically don't mind open-ended storytelling and the like, but this was a bit much to me.  I enjoy watching film to be told a story and/or have an experience of sorts.  In this instance I kind of felt like I had to take the role of the actual storyteller.  I can see how this may work for some, but it was a mixed bag for me.

Perhaps your enjoyment of the film is dependent on how down you are with the following statement:

There are two kinds of people in this world.....those who are pretentious as fuck, and those who wish they were.