baumer

The Last Stand

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Discuss

All I can say it, I hope Arnold is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I am pysched and surprised that it has such good early RT ratings!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_stand_2013/#contentReviews

The Last Stand (2013)

Average Rating: 6.5/10

Reviews Counted: 20

Fresh: 16 | Rotten: 4 >>> 16/4 is better than I expected!

"You give us imigrants a bad name"

Damned fun movie. I'll need to see it again to look at it with a more critical eye, I just wanted to try to enjoy myself the first go around. If you're watching this movie, you know what to expect, and it should please most folks. Excellent action, plausible storyline, fun one-liners, and a well-paced movie.

Arnold is a little stilted, but perfectly fine and very fun to see him back in the swing of things. I can't go shouting "Arnold is back!" from the top of the rafters or anything, but it's a very promising return to form for him and bodes well for the future. The role was well suited to his age, while still giving him lots of opportunities to glare and kick ass.

Jamie Alexander was awesome (those eyes!) and Johnny Knoxville didn't distract as I had feared and was perfectly cast for the role. Very smart of them to put him in this, I think he may be a draw for the younger crowd. Certainly were plenty in my showing who were laughing just as loud at his antics as at Arnold's lines.

Will definitely have to see some more of Kim Jee-Woon's films. Violent, but not goofily so. Fast paced, but not nausea-inducing. All around good stuff and hope that gets him the state-side attention he deserves.

Good stuff!

B+

There's about 15 minutes of this film that is absolutely stunning. From the time the deputies get to the area where the bridge is being built until they arrive back at the sheriff's office with a dead Jerry, it is outstanding. The rest of it is just okay. Part of the problem is Arnold. There are a dozen other actors who could have played this role. Arnold should not have. I think of Arnold as The Terminator or Dutch or Harry Tasker, not an old man who still has a little left in the tank. Stallone revived his career by being in the best shape of his life, Arnold should have done the same. He should have waited to get back into the game until he was jacked up again. I just didn't like seeing him look old and tired. And that really took away from my enjoyment of the film.As Mattmav said, the buildup is much too long and then finally when the finale takes place, it's just kind of a letdown.Genesis Rodriguez is ridiculously hot though.6/10

Edited by baumer

I enjoyed it. It was fun. Some pretty cool moments and gags, great finale after a slow start. I don't mind Arnie doing this type of films, he's an actor after all, I'd like to see him kicking ass like Stallone, but I don't mind him doing smaller gigs like this. Knoxville was used, he was funny in his short role, would have annoyed the hell out of me in a bigger part. Solid action flick.B+

• Like 1

There's about 15 minutes of this film that is absolutely stunning. From the time the deputies get to the area where the bridge is being built until they arrive back at the sheriff's office with a dead Jerry, it is outstanding. The rest of it is just okay. Part of the problem is Arnold. There are a dozen other actors who could have played this role. Arnold should not have. I think of Arnold as The Terminator or Dutch or Harry Tasker, not an old man who still has a little left in the tank. Stallone revived his career by being in the best shape of his life, Arnold should have done the same. He should have waited to get back into the game until he was jacked up again. I just didn't like seeing him look old and tired. And that really took away from my enjoyment of the film.As Mattmav said, the buildup is much too long and then finally when the finale takes place, it's just kind of a letdown.Genesis Rodriguez is ridiculously hot though.6/10

But that was the role, he wasn't pumping weights in his spare time. He was an older guy who was the sheriff and he was fishing in shorts in his days off.Maybe he can make your movie in the next couple, but I am glad that we got Arnold back for something. (Also the movies you are talking about, is 30 years old...and Arnold or Stallone can't come close to what they looked like even 20 years ago. Thinking about it, it would be like saying I didn't like Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven or Gran Tarino, as he is too old. IMO, it is fine, as they are just playing older characters....that would look stupid, if they tried to look younger > PS. Should Arnold have been the new Conan???And I like most people above, enjoyed bits and pieces of the whole movie, including the Knoxville stuff.7.0/10.0
  • Like 1

This was really fun. It looked and felt like a western from the beginning to the end. The beginning was slow but i never found it boring since it set the tone of the quiet town and the old sheriff. And every actor seemed to have a blast. Then it slowly gets more action packed and more violent as it goes. The last 30 minutes (especially after that cool school bus scene) are really fun and pretty crowd pleasing. The action is well shot and violent.

The fact that the movie knows that it's B-movie and knows its limitations is what makes it so enjoyable. It never really takes itself seriously and that was a good idea because the story is pretty far-fetched with a bunch of cliches. But Jee-Woon embraces those cliches and has fun with them along with the classic western themes. The underdog story and the old vs young theme is there too.

And i'm probably one of the few that i found Arnold looking and playing old a good thing for this film. Made it more believable.

It's a shame that it bombed since it's a fun action film. It would be a solid hit it during the 80's or early nineties that's for sure.

• Like 1

B+I thought it was an fun, solid, enjoyable action movie. Arnie did a fine playing the aging lawman character. Clearly he wasn't meant to be some pumped up, unstoppable terminator. That wasn't the point and it worked for me. The first part of the was perfectly fine to me. It wasn't slow or boring at all. They had to take time establishing all the characters as well as the situation at hand. The guy couldn't just escape and then suddenly, boom, he's in the town facing off against Arnie and what deputies he had. The fact they to there time actually made me care when Jerry died. That whole sequence was really well done as was the big showdown in the street. Loved when they come in on the bus and he starts mowing the guys down with the old gatlin gun. I'm sure Arnie will get more pumped up looking, like Stallone, going forward; but for this particular role I thought he looked exactly as he should have.

• Like 1

Didn't like it. The whole thing feels like a really half assed moneygrab, and they didn't give Arnold anything interesting to do or say! 

Not one juicy oneliner, not one epic action scene, nothing. The editing is sloppy, the villains suck, the attempts at comedy are cringeworthy and you just dont give to fucking shits about anything thats going on. The concept sounds like a ton of fun but the movie is just a wasted opportunity after another. Goddammit. Overall while not offensively bad, The Last Stand is a cynical, boring and disappointing movie. 

2/5

I did like Forest Whitaker and Luis Guzman. I wish they had had more screentime, especially Guzman who is direly underused.

• Like 2

Watched it back-to-back with "A Good Day to Die Hard", and - while Arnold is not much of an action star any longer - the movie itself is very ok - in "The Last Stand", they did everything right that went wrong with AGDTDH. There's a simple setup and a simple story, there are easily identifiable villains with all the villainous traits, there's very little cheesy dialogue, there are some really fun scenes, and the direction - while doing nothing spectacular or groundbreaking - manages to tell us what's going on in a very effective way. This is a perfect B movie - not a must see by far but you can't go wrong with this if you just want a brainless action evening.

It was a servicable fun movie 

The problem is its not right for this generation and Kim Jee Woon did give it everything it needed but it was somewhat off I guess ... there's a nice western thing going on and there is some solid action in the final act but its just doesn't come fully together as it should 

Since I'm a big Arnold fan I'm inclined to be more on the positive side about it so I reccomend it as disposable fun 

btw its a bit lame putting Knoxville's name next to Arnold's when he's in the movie the least out of all those characters you see in the trailer ... 

I finally got around to seeing this on Netflix.... it was far more enjoyable and entertaining than I expected. Sure, it's ridiculous beyond belief (in so many ways), but still, we need more of these straightforward, no-nonsense genre movies that don't cost a fortune and know exactly what they're trying to be.

Arnold is old, sure, but he's still got presence to spare, and I liked watching him every moment he was on screen. And kudos to Kim Jee-woon for some nice shots and a little bit of style here and there.

The only little change I would've done is once Arnold signed on... change the guy's name. Having him play someone called "Ray Owens" is even more absurd than the action in the movie.

Edited by 7elemachos
  • Like 3

• Community Manager

Saw this because I was like "I'm tired, I want some brainless action movie to take me to sleep but not just any brainless movie since I just basically finished all my college courses/internships/99% of my homework.'

It satisfied.

B+

Now on to my final college paper....

• Like 1