MovieGuyKyle17

4 Day Weekend Box Office Perdictions: Mama (30.5m); Broken City (9.7m); Last Stand (6.6m) Nikki

It should be interesting to see which will finish ahead: Skyfall or Hobbit.

Skyfall finished ahead because it doesn`t have 3D that`s saving TH`s ass. Even if TH passes it dom it`s because of 3D which means it wouldn`t have passed $300 mio w/o 3D.

some takeaways from the box office results: Mama was marketed very well and its PG-13 rating definitely helped coupled with its female appeal. Broken City's trailers/commercials just made it look like the type of flick you could easily wait for TV and its reviews certainly didn't help. I was shocked at just how low The Last Stand's performance was. I figured it wouldn't do well, but this is just pathetic. I think a legit question at this point is how many of the Arnold movies he's working on may go the straight to DVD route. Any thoughts?http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/box-office-results-january-18-21/

Color me shocked on The Last Stand bombing. I would have figured Arnold's first solo comeback film, combined with positive-ish reviews would have been a success. I would imagine that the US just isn't ready for a shoot 'em up action flick at this time, which may be part of the reason it did so poorly. This will probably make big bucks overseas. This does put Arnold's future as a headliner in a non-franchise movie in question, but I doubt it will hurt his future when it comes to franchise pictures like Conan and Terminator. I actually saw Last Stand yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, but it's just the wrong picture at the wrong time unfortunately.

Color me shocked on The Last Stand bombing. I would have figured Arnold's first solo comeback film, combined with positive-ish reviews would have been a success.... I actually saw Last Stand yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, but it's just the wrong picture at the wrong time unfortunately.

Would`ve done better during a dumping ground season such as September. January is too clogged with Oscar-hyped movies and 2 of them (ZDT and DU) cut into TLS`s action audience. Plus there`s GS. So it`s 4 action movies vying for audience. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Would`ve done better during a dumping ground season such as September. January is too clogged with Oscar-hyped movies and 2 of them (ZDT and DU) cut into TLS`s action audience. Plus there`s GS. So it`s 4 action movies vying for audience.

And they're all R-rated. That's hurting all the movies big time. DU dropped worse than LM this weekend, and if they market had been emptier of R-movies this wouldn't have happened. There's a total of 2 non-R movies in the top 10 right now. LM and Floppit.

And they're all R-rated. That's hurting all the movies big time. DU dropped worse than LM this weekend, and if they market had been emptier of R-movies this wouldn't have happened. There's a total of 2 non-R movies in the top 10 right now. LM and Floppit.

Mama is PG-13 ;)

Would`ve done better during a dumping ground season such as September.

Yep, it's going to open in 9th or 10th place, with about the same amount of money as Dredd, which was in 6th place on it's opening weekend.The Last Stand, or any one of the many R-movies out right now, could've made more money if it was released into a slightly emptier marketplace.