BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

Any word on Hobbit's presales?

TH1 made 30M there, TH2 made 23. Is there any chance TBOTFA makes the same or more than TH1?

No idea but I just saw the trailer before Ouija and some people were applauding. And all my friends want to see The Hobbit 3. It's going to be so good. I can't wait to see it!!! We buy the tickets at the theaters so presales are not indicating anything here.

• Like 1

According to deadline Exodus was #1 with $3.76m, followed by Ouija with $1.5m. Penguins of Madagascar dropped 27%, so it did $ 1.1m. Between Ouija and Penguins there should be 3 movies: Mockingjay (closer to $1.5m), Mortadelo y Filemon and Magic in the Moonlight. Interstellar should be at #7 close to $1m ;)

The Top Ten should be over $ 10m, the best weekend since April, when 8 Apellidos Vascos was leading the box office. ;)

Edited by Henry II of Arendelle
  • Like 2

Saw Ocho Apellidos Vascos the other day and I thought it was a lot of fun. The confession scene was particularly funny :)

A few quick questions, 1) I noticed that Basque and Andalusia are autonomous communities. Are they the exception or is the whole of Spain made up of them? and 2) is the animosity between different regions as strong as it was being portrayed in 8AV or just between just a select few?

• Like 2

Saw Ocho Apellidos Vascos the other day and I thought it was a lot of fun. The confession scene was particularly funny :)

A few quick questions, 1) I noticed that Basque and Andalusia are autonomous communities. Are they the exception or is the whole of Spain made up of them? and 2) is the animosity between different regions as strong as it was being portrayed in 8AV or just between just a select few?

I am glad you liked it!!! :)

I am going to try to answer your questions. Spain is divided in "autonomous communities" but that just a name, you can called them provinces or regions or states as in other countries. Of course the movie is an exaggeration. The Basque Country is in the north close to the border with France but is full of people born in other parts of Spain. It rains a lot there but it is reach and very expensive to live there. The Capital city is Bilbao and it's like any other capital of Spain. But the country side could be a little bit more like the movie shows. Andalusia is in the south and people live more relaxed than in the rest of Spain. It's sunny and the winters don't last long. I love Andalusia and the people from there. But it's the poorest part of Spain and the unemployment there is the highest of the country. I think it is like everywhere in the world. The people from the reaches parts of the countries always say that they are working to support the other regions.

• Like 2

I am going to try to answer your questions. Spain is divided in "autonomous communities" but that just a name, you can called them provinces or regions or states as in other countries. Of course the movie is an exaggeration. The Basque Country is in the north close to the border with France but is full of people born in other parts of Spain. It rains a lot there but it is reach and very expensive to live there. The Capital city is Bilbao and it's like any other capital of Spain. But the country side could be a little bit more like the movie shows. Andalusia is in the south and people live more relaxed than in the rest of Spain. It's sunny and the winters don't last long. I love Andalusia and the people from there. But it's the poorest part of Spain and the unemployment there is the highest of the country. I think it is like everywhere in the world. The people from the reaches parts of the countries always say that they are working to support the other regions.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So why is Basque in particular demonstrating for independence? (or is that something made up too?). 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So why is Basque in particular demonstrating for independence? (or is that something made up too?).

That is true but it's a minority. It is very hard nowadays to find someone with the 8 basque surnames. All over Europe there are minorities asking for the independence of their region and it's basically due to economic reasons, they think they will be reacher alone. But the majority everywhere thinks that the only way to survive now is with the EU

• Like 1

That is true but it's a minority. It is very hard nowadays to find someone with the 8 basque surnames. All over Europe there are minorities asking for the independence of their region and it's basically due to economic reasons, they think they will be reacher alone. But the majority everywhere thinks that the only way to survive now is with the EU

Thanks. What do you think made it click with Spanish audiences? Just because of its humor?

Edited by Rsyu

Thanks. What do you think made it click with Spanish audiences? Just because of its humor?

That's right! In times of crisis people need humor :)

Actually this movie is not original. The french version "Welcome to the north" and the Italian "welcome to the south" were very successful, specially the french one, which was the first as long as I remember

• Like 1

Bilbao is the biggest city, but the capital is Vitoria ;)

• Like 2

Any word on Hobbit's presales?

TH1 made 30M there, TH2 made 23. Is there any chance TBOTFA makes the same or more than TH1?

I tracked MJ1 in, if I am not wrong, the biggest Spanish theater (Kinepolis in Madrid). The release day it had sold a bit more than 4,000 admissions there. Hobbit has already surpassed that amount. Probably that means nothing given Tolkien's fans are a lot here (LOTR remains to be the biggest franchise ever in Spain with 20 million admissions adding the 3 movies), but it is still remarkable.

AUJ did 22.8 million € (2.99 million admissions) and DOS did 17.1 million € (2.45 million admissions). I think BOFA will rebound a bit to somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million admissions, what would mean about 20 million € or 25 million $.

• Like 2

Spanish Films Post Record Sales

at Box Office for 2014

8av_04_0.jpg

Spanish films snagged a record high at the domestic box office in 2014 in terms of money earned, tickets sold and market share: 25.5 percent — the best in the 37 years of tracking, according to figures released Dec. 7 by Rentrak Spain.

Spanish films — lead by the surprise hit of the year Spanish Affair — grossed €123 million ($153 million), compared with €119.8 million in 2012, which was the previous high. Spanish films earned 75.3 percent more than in 2013, with an 89 percent leap in tickets sold to 20.8 million in 2014.

"Producers are happy to have found audiences through mainstream films as well as the so-called auteur fare, resulting in a wide range of films and answering to the viewers' different tastes in movies," said FAPAE president Ramon Colom. "These figures justify the need to continue supporting our film industry, an example of a robust industry."

The figures are in part thanks to a bumper crop of local fare. Spanish Affair raked in an astounding €56 million ($69.5 million) and became not only the highest grossing film of 2014, but the all-time highest grossing Spanish film and the second all-time high of any nationality, only behind Avatar.

The romantic comedy was followed by El Nino with €16.2 million ($20 million), Santiago Segura'ssocial phenomenon Torrente 5: Operation EuroVegas with €10.7 million ($13.3 million) and Alberto Rodriguez's Marshland with €6 million ($7.4 million). Javier Fesser's comic-based Mortadelo and Filemon franchise has scored €2.6 million ($3.2 million) with just two weeks in theaters.

"We must continue to build a strong and competitive industry, and all the pieces who are part of it we must push in the same direction," Colom said.

The Spanish industry held two editions of the popular Fiesta de Cine promotion, which helped buoy sales by offering greatly reduced rates for three days in spring and another three days in fall.

Link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spanish-films-post-record-sales-755794

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5

The calm before the storm... Exodus leads a quiet weekend doing $1.6m, dropping over 50%. Mortadelo and Filemon, Ouija, Mockingjay and Penguins did only $0.6m this weekend

The Battle of the Five Armies opens on Wednesday!!! I can't wait!! I will go to the first show ;)

I have seats for the 10 pm show. :D ....2D, 3D or 3D HFR? I'm going the later.

• Like 3