ChD

ChD's Corner - Year 6

Expedecade was the only movie I managed to do today. I'll deal with the rest tomorrow, and hopefully, post the reviews too.

Expedecade - 79%

Expedecade, a movie that brings 007 in the spotlight, once more, features a stellar cast and a very talented director, but despite that, the movie moves a little bit too fast and leaves nearly no room for any character development at all. It’s also missing what most Bond movies do: James Bond’s humanity. This is just another movie to feature a robot James Bond that beats everyone, with or without guns, and feels no emotion or pain (not even when stabbed in the eye). Overall, ignoring the flaws mentioned above, it was an enjoyable movie.

Box Office Prediction - OW: 70/ FG: 210/ WW: 930

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1

Eh, I think Expedecade humanizes Bond in a way, but I wasn't going to make him an uber-emotional hero. He's a hardened man by war and ten years in the field. Besides, the emotional core of the movie is with Moneypenny anyway, but I feel like Bond showed emotion during

Q's death and the end where he is forced to kill Tiffany.

Sir Thymes Time - 91% 

A great animated movie that will appeal to younger audiences, and, most likely, to older ones also, mostly because of the classic songs featured in it. The overall story is very unique, not moving too fast or too slow, and leaving place for characters to develop perfectly. The 107 minutes passed by like the wind, striking me as a surprise when the end credits started rolling. The cast contains only A-list actors who put on a solid performances, making this a very enjoyable movie.

Box Office Prediction: OW: 55/ FG: 220/ WW: 550 

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1

Last Ditch Effort – 90%

This is a movie that gets you hooked instantly. Brought to you by Peter Jackson, this is a movie that hasn’t been stretched to infinty and actually keeps you on the edge in nearly every scene. The acting pretty much dominates here, featuring very strong performances from Mat Dillon and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as father and son, respectively. Despite having a few scenes that were a little bit slower, the script is very well made, and most importantly, leaves space for some characters to get developed. The editing and cinematography, together with Peter Jackson’s directing were also pretty amazing, making this one of the best movies the year.

Box Office Prediction: OW: 55M / FG: 165M / WW: 560M

Edited by ChD

Careful Laid Plans – 78%

This is yet another movie by the Coen brothers, who, once more, gathered an A-list cast for an overall good movie that has its flaws. One of the major problems of this movie was the fact that its running time was too long, making it seem stretched at some parts, and boring. DiCaprio and Levitt’s performances are noteworthy, but they could’ve done a lot better. The cinematography and editing were good, but the score, even though it was done by Howard Shore, wasn’t standing out in any scene, making it a forgettable one.

Box Office Prediction: FG: 85M / WW: 160M*Due to the movie unfolding slowly, there will be no OW predicted.

Society – 85%

This movie took me by surprise with the way it managed to perfectly reflect the world of today, a world that gets out of control, slowly, but sure. The story is the thing I liked the most; it comes above acting and above the singing. It takes you slow at the beginning, but then, as you move deeper and deeper, it becomes a very emotional and shocking story that will either leave you open-mouthed or in tears at some points. The characters developed perfectly, even though they were six who had equal screen time, which is quite an achievement. The acting was acceptable, the best performances coming from Jennifer Lawrence and Zac Efron, who proved he is acting material and that he can do serious movies. The songs were acceptable, but some were really bad placed (The abortion hospital one). Overall, this was a pleasant surprise with an end that left me in tears (Ain’t even lying here!)

Box Office Prediction: OW: 28 / FG: 75 / WW: 325

• Like 1

Society – 85%

This movie took me by surprise with the way it managed to perfectly reflect the world of today, a world that gets out of control, slowly, but sure. The story is the thing I liked the most; it comes above acting and above the singing. It takes you slow at the beginning, but then, as you move deeper and deeper, it becomes a very emotional and shocking story that will either leave you open-mouthed or in tears at some points. The characters developed perfectly, even though they were six who had equal screen time, which is quite an achievement. The acting was acceptable, the best performances coming from Jennifer Lawrence and Zac Efron, who proved he is acting material and that he can do serious movies. The songs were acceptable, but some were really bad placed (The abortion hospital one). Overall, this was a pleasant surprise with an end that left me in tears (Ain’t even lying here!)

Box Office Prediction: OW: 28 / FG: 75 / WW: 325

That would be a good run. 

Interesting note. The abortion clinic song is what inspired me to write the film. I had it pictured in my head but had a hard time translating it to text.