wboxoffice

Movies that lost their wide release plans

Can someone please give me examples of movies with big hopes when going into production and big star(s) in them, that were planned to get wide releases in theaters, but then at the last minute the plans for a wide release were cancelled and they ended up with a limited release?  What are some examples, and what were the reasons? 

Assassination of Jesse James? If I'm not mistaken WB fought long and hard with Dominik and Pitt about the film's length and pacing and when it couldn't have its way it pretty much dumped it. Although I'm not sure if they ever intended it to go wide right away, or were planning a platform roll-out with a later wide release from the beginning.

Does anyone know what happened with "Cadillac Records"?  Did they initially plan to release it wide, but then they didn't because they didn't believe in the film's potential... or was it always their strategy to release it limited first in hopes of expanding, but then it didn't work out...

Edited by wboxoffice

You should only count big studio movies as most Indie movies never get to see wide release even if they have big stars. That's just the Box Office economics these days. Unless you have $20 million lying around a wide release ain't happening and only major studios have that kind of cash.

• Like 1

You should only count big studio movies as most Indie movies never get to see wide release even if they have big stars. That's just the Box Office economics these days. Unless you have $20 million lying around a wide release ain't happening and only major studios have that kind of cash.

Agreed, now I don't know why I remember this-but there was that Bridge of San Luis Ray that costed 25M and didn't even his 50K.

But yes-I could say Anna K. as it never went wide-but don't know if they ever considered it.

The ones I mentioned are ones that I remember were going to go wide at one point.

Miley Cyrus had two movies in 2012 that were originally slated as theatrical releases.  Both got dumped to straight to video (well the first one had a VERY limited theatrical release).

They were called...LOL and So Undercover. 

The world is now a better place.

I have to imagine all of those Bruce Willis DTV movies were at some point intended to go to theaters also.

• Like 1