Jack Nevada

The Official Philip Seymour Hoffman Appreciation Thread

When asked about the best actors working today, the first name to come to my mind is Philip Seymour Hoffman. Granted, I havent seen all of his pictures, but whenever I see him in something he's guaranteed to deliver, even if the movie is crap. 

He is still somewhat underrated, but fortunately he has gotten more recognition in the last ten years, including his deserved Oscar for his excellent work in Capote. This year he's yet again nominated for The Master, and I'd say that its absolutely a deserved nomination. Joaquin Phoenix, who plays a raging maniac fueled by sexual impulses, has the showier role in that movie, but PSH is imo just as good as Lancaster Dodd, a character who coats his own craziness with seeming calmness, which makes his few moments of rage in the movie ("PIGFUCK") all the more effective. 

There are a few actors who you could say are always good. I have yet to see a bad PSH performance.

So my idea for this thread was to make it a nice circle jerk celebrating this great actor and his performances. I'd say after The Master my favorite PSH role has to be his cameo-sized role in Punch Drunk Love. This scene is just fucking priceless.

• Like 1

Yeah, I haven't yet seen a bad performance from him either. At worst, he is given practically nothing to do (i.e. Moneyball), but thankfully those are very rare cases, and every time he is given something to chew on, he delivers big time. The man has tremendous range - he performs lead and supporting roles with equal finesse, doesn't overshadow others but doesn't let himself be overshadowed, and slips in and out of roles so naturally you don't even notice, despite the fact he never radically changes his appearance.

My personal favorites of his performances have to be The Master, Capote, PDL, Synecdoche and Happiness. Oh, and 7 years later he's the only thing I remember from Mission Impossible III... pretty sure it's not accidental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-3oeveop4o

• Like 1