I know Pixar is close to vest on story lines but they need to put out decent trailer showing a little bit what the movie is about.

Agreed, after seeing the trailer I...had no idea what it was really about. I just kept going "when do the dragons show up?"

But it's Pixar, they still have my faith, I can excuse Cars 2 it's only one movie.

My faith in John Lasseter as a director is what's shaken the most after Cars 2 and not so much Pixar the studio. With Toy Story and A Bug's Life he had far more assistance from the braintrust than he did with the Cars franchise, and I think he's been exposed as the weak creative link.

Edited by tribefan695

My faith in John Lasseter as a director is what's shaken the most after Cars 2 and not so much Pixar the studio. With Toy Story and A Bug's Life he had far more assistance from the braintrust than he did with the Cars franchise, and I think he's been exposed as the weak creative link.

And with that - it's also a bit disconcerting to think that he wields the most power on the creative side at both Pixar and Disney now, and that quite a few known artists and up and comers have left the company under his guidance...

At the risk of being attacked by Pixar loonies - just saw the trailer and I'm quite mystified why some people are really looking forward to this. The trailer was just boring - the tom boy princess/lady rebelling against the restrictions placed on her gender by society - it's been done a million times before. This story just doesn't seem very compelling to me. If this wasn't from Pixar, most people wouldn't care less about this movie.

At the risk of being attacked by Pixar loonies - just saw the trailer and I'm quite mystified why some people are really looking forward to this. The trailer was just boring - the tom boy princess/lady rebelling against the restrictions placed on her gender by society - it's been done a million times before. This story just doesn't seem very compelling to me. If this wasn't from Pixar, most people wouldn't care less about this movie.

As opposed to her being a brainless, dependent woman choosing between two men without shirts? If anything at all, girls should be watching this, don't you think?

As opposed to her being a brainless, dependent woman choosing between two men without shirts? If anything at all, girls should be watching this, don't you think?

I presume you're referring to Twilight? That has nothing to do with the subject at hand - but nice attempt at deflection.

I'm talking about a tired old trope. The girl who wants to be a boy - I find it very interesting that male-dominated Pixar only decides to have a female main character when she wants to reject female pursuits and take up male pursuits - using weapons and killing things.

It's just been done so many times before - it's not like this is ground-breaking. I would expect Pixar to come up with something relatively new.

We don't know the story line Thats why I was saying they need to release a trailer showing a little bit of the story line. Trust me tom boy angle is not the story line.

We don't know the story line Thats why I was saying they need to release a trailer showing a little bit of the story line. Trust me tom boy angle is not the story line.

Let's hope not, when is the next trailer due?

I want to be excited for this - like I was for Wall-E - they need to tell us more though.

You know, they could just delay it to December 2012. They haven't got the story right and the marketplace is dead empty. It could monopolize.

It leaves a gaping hole in summer, but if it's for quality's sake, I sure as hell don't mind.

Noooooooooo. We need a Pixar/FOX on that date, so it can be like 2008.

But it is from Pixar, so they do. And they're well-known for putting out lackluster trailers; Andrew Stanton even admitted as such recently.

Well, in fairness pretty much everything else Lasseter has been involved in has been golden. He's great as a producer, not so much a helmer, at least on his own.

And let's not forget that he's also overseeing some of the creative efforts of Walt Disney Imagineering for the theme parks.

Lassetter is the man. He's saved Disney Animation in a matter of a few years (Bolt, PatF, Tangled > Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little, etc that they were producing).

You guys need to take Cars 2 for what it was. A decent (not great) Pixar movie that was geared more strongly towards children than anything they've produced since Toy Story 2. It was also made during a time where Pixar was obviously having some trouble unrelated to Cars 2 (unless Newt getting canceled was Cars 2's fault).

Otherwise, a bit more rewriting and another year of production could have suited the movie very well. McMissile was an absolutely spectacular character. Shame he was the number 2 when the movie screamed from the opening sequence he should have been number 1. Regardless, Dinosaur, MU and Mindmovie sound like they have fantastic potential.

Otherwise, a bit more rewriting and another year of production could have suited the movie very well. McMissile was an absolutely spectacular character. Shame he was the number 2 when the movie screamed from the opening sequence he should have been number 1. Regardless, Dinosaur, MU and Mindmovie sound like they have fantastic potential.

I seriously doubt McMissile would've ever been anything more than a side character. The main reason for Cars 2's existence was Mater's popularity.

Edited by tribefan695

Honestly that's exactly why some of us Pixar loonies just abhorred the idea of Cars 2, especially when it was looking like it was going to be a big glob of fail. I honestly believe that from the beginning, movie-goers gave Pixar movies a chance exactly because it was from Pixar. I don't think WALL-E or Ratatouille or Finding Nemo would have made as much as they did if they weren't Pixar movies... I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is exactly why you don't beat the golden goose like that. That reputation that gets people to say things like the part I've bolded above is worth more than $1 billion in toy car sales...

And another failure from them so close to Cars 2 (and if it's a sequel), it might be hard to recover that audience goodwill that they've built up for the past 20 years given the market now. I really hope Monster's University is the last se(pre)quel we see from them for a while.