Wadey Wilsoney

Impressive visual effects prior to CGI

The Gate was this little horror movie from the eighties that I saw about thirteen years ago on the Sci-fi Channel. I remember very little about it, save for one thing: those little demon imps. Too good to be stop-motion and far too early to be CGI.

So how did they do it? Forced perspective and people in suits. Sounds simple, but those visuals stucks with me. Truly impressive, even if the movie was just okay in the end.

Prior to CGI, which visual effects have impressed you the most? Please point to specific scenes when possible.

Or

In the age of CGI, which effects did you think were computer generated at first, only to realise later that they were practical?

Edited by Bazooka Wadey

No, the first CGI in feature films was TRON and STAR TREK II.

The Death Star blueprints, destruction planning and demonstration shown to the rebel pilots was all pionneering wireframe CGI. In ROTJ, the holographic presentation of Death Star II by Mon Mothma to the rebel fleet officers is also CGI. You're wrong.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

Edited by dashrendar44

Heck, METROPOLIS is pretty impressive even today!

I rewatched it recently and have to say that I was a little disappointed in the model work. Ok, those were huge sets, but the details were "flat". Sure, it was not meant to have a realistic look, but it was clearly visible that those were model buildings flooded.

The Death star destruction planning and demonstration shown to the rebel pilots was all pionneering CGI, the targeting device on the fighters too. In ROTJ, the holographic presentation of Death Star II by Mon Mothma to the rebel fleet officers is also CGI. You're wrong.

I wasn't referring to ROTJ.... I do stand corrected on the rebel briefing, I completely forgot about that. However, such early CG (and in other films) shouldn't disqualify the 99% of traditional effects used, particularly since they were so memorable.

The Death star blueprints, destruction planning and demonstration shown to the rebel pilots was all pionneering wireframe CGI. In ROTJ, the holographic presentation of Death Star II by Mon Mothma to the rebel fleet officers is also CGI. You're wrong.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

I don't think that's what the thread is about :) - computer screens showing computer screens are not CGi effects in my book, or else even Star Trek 1 would have CGi (they were so proud their screens showed "real" screens)

• Like 1

Well for me, SW is the blend of traditional effects and computer effects. People forget about the Dykstra-flex that is a camera whose movements are entirely programmed using computer software. SW VFX would not be as impressive without that innovation.

Edited by dashrendar44

I don't think that's what the thread is about :) - computer screens showing computer screens are not CGi effects in my book, or else even Star Trek 1 would have CGi (they were so proud their screens showed "real" screens)

In SW, there are computer screens and holographic maps showing pictures achieved by CGI and not "traditional effects" so this is not off topic to remind people about that fact.

Edited by dashrendar44

Well for me, SW is the blend of traditional effects and computer effects. People forget about the Dykstra-flex that is a camera whose movements are entirely programmed using computer software and. SW VFX would not bet as impressive without that innovation.

Yes, without computer-controlled systems ILM wouldn't've been able to do the multiple camera passes required for all that compositing. However, that isn't CGI, since there's no computer-generated imagery in those shots.

Yes, without computer-controlled systems ILM wouldn't've been able to do the multiple camera passes required for all that compositing. However, that isn't CGI, since there's no computer-generated imagery in those shots.

Fair enough but I can already smell the "CGI sucks" scent out of this thread while quoting Star Wars even if Star Wars pionneered CGI effects and opened the Pandora's box, that's kind of ironic

Back on topic.

The crossing of the Red Sea by Moise and his people in The Cecil B DeMille's Ten Commandments.

Ben Hur:

Posted Image

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2