Wadey Wilsoney

Impressive visual effects prior to CGI

Well two of the best old school Visual effects has to go to ...

The Parting of the Red Sea in the Ten Commandments.

The Chariot Race in Ben Hur

Posted Image

I just love the super wide aspect ratio, it makes the race seems so much more epic

The chariot race was mostly practical, yes, apart from some blue-screen work. They built a complete 1:1 arena, and they really raced horses through it, and they filmed all this on 70mm cameras (camera mounted on a car which raced the course too) which was incredibly difficult, but since the rest of Ben Hur was in 70mm too they decided to go for a consistent look. I guess when it comes to set-building, BenHur still could qualify as having the hugest sets ever, but concerning SFX, there's mainly the sea battle that I remember, apart from the matte work.

Ben Hur was not Visual effects but when I watched the film with my mom and dad and sister they all said...

Looks good but its easy to do with computers.

I said they were real horses...

They would not believe me...

Lol Hollywood can't do scenes like those as it requires way to much risk.

Ben Hur was not Visual effects but when I watched the film with my mom and dad and sister they all said...

Looks good but its easy to do with computers.

I said they were real horses...

They would not believe me...

Lol Hollywood can't do scenes like those as it requires way to much risk.

I'm curious what Ben Hur's budget would have been had they made it today in the exact same way.

There was a reason Ben Hur was shot in Italy and it wasn't the wine. Ben Hur would be like a major tentpole production today, say in the 200mil US$ range. Remember that there was nearly no starpower in Ben Hur, so an obvious modern example with lots of stunts, giant sets, horses and month-long shooting schedule would be the Lord of the Rings films. Or Gladiator. Both of which weren't shot in Hollywood either.

They made all the sets and I think someone died during the charriot race.

Or is that an urban Myth??

Another tale is that a scene in the charriot race where the stuntsman rides over a bump and almost falls off, that the person almost literally fell off and almost got crushed to death.

They kept that scene in and people were taken a back at the realism lol

The shooting of the chariot race doesn't need myths or rumours, it's an outstanding feat in cinematography and set-building completely on its own. The dimensions of the enterprise are truly mindboggling. And they built a 2nd racecourse, just to set up the angles and train the horses ...

btw, just re-read the wiki entry - I didn't know until today that Sergio Leone was assistant director on the chariot race sequence.