Wadey Wilsoney

Impressive visual effects prior to CGI

Wasn't a fair amount of the impressive stuff in Independence Day actually not CGI?

If you don't count motion-controlled camera rigs, then yes. Well into the 90s, even the biggest blockbusters had only a few minutes of CG. T2 has something like 4-5 minutes or so, JURASSIC PARK around 8-10 minutes (I'm pulling these out of my ass, but they're in the general ballpark).

Actually, even the LotR films had very many hands-on effects: miniatures, costumes, make-up, forced perspective - you name it, they did it. I don't know if it counts though because every single frame was digitised and underwent at least some digital color-correction or tuning.

True, although all compositing is now done digitally, so even something shot using mostly traditional methods (bigatures, etc) ends up being a CG shot.

• Like 1

I wouldn't personally count that as CG, its just a traditional thing done digitally, REAL CG is something like the different in the Star Trek movies where originally they were models, but now they are totally CG rather than models composited digitally into a scene.

I also wouldn't really count digital correction as CG.

Edited by Rovex

Not really, its the difference between a thing existing for real and not. In the New Star trek movie there is a scene with Spock in a volcano. Its not him in a volcano, or even him composited into a scene of a real volcano or even a model volcano with CG lighting effects, its a totally computer generated volcano.