CJohn

Friday Numbers DHD - Breaking Dawn 72M!

If WOM was tremendous for BD1, then it was even more for Eclipse.

I don't know my girlfriend who loves the series said this was her favorite movie. Me personally it was okay nothing special but I am not a fan of the series. Edited by druv10

I don't know my girlfriend who loves the series said this was her favorite movie. Me personally it was okay nothing special but I am not a fan of the series.

I'm hearing the same thing from plenty of people. This is (as far as I can tell) the best received film from the fans thus far.

You could be right but there is a possibility of decent legs.

Of course there's a possibility, but anything below $140m, I can't see it finishing with $300m. New Moon had the advantage (however slight) of more mainstream awareness than BD1.

I know this is the US numbers thread, but this just popped through on twitter: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 actually did £6.3m in UK yesterday, not £6.2m as I previously reported. So, slightly more amazing.Aka, the biggest single day in British box office history once the Deathly Hallows are removed. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

DH1 was also the best received film from the fans, and it still dropped. Just saying.

Yeah, but only by 6 million. I'm not saying this isn't going to drop (I could feasibly see it winding up anywhere from 285-305 million total), but the drastic drops some people are predicting aren't going to happen.

I know this is the US numbers thread, but this just popped through on twitter:The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 actually did £6.3m in UK yesterday, not £6.2m as I previously reported. So, slightly more amazing.Aka, the biggest single day in British box office history once the Deathly Hallows are removed. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

HOLY FUCK.

I'm a little surprised by how much PiB dropped, considering how poorly HF2 opened. It's looking like about a 50% drop right now. I really would have thought it would be more in the 35-40% range. I mean the two films are on track to combine for 35 mil, people were expecting HF 2 to open to nearly 40 mil on its own.

I know this is the US numbers thread, but this just popped through on twitter: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 actually did £6.3m in UK yesterday, not £6.2m as I previously reported. So, slightly more amazing.Aka, the biggest single day in British box office history once the Deathly Hallows are removed. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Actually, as Noctis has said in the UK this beat DH I. Which could mean there is an outside shot of an O/W record here next year!

Why does everyone think BD2 is going to have a finale effect? The last movie in a series only does better than the previous installments if the story is leading up to something. With Potter it was whether Harry would live or die, with Star Wars it was how Skywalker became Darth Vader. Twilight isn't really leading up to a pinnacle moment, hence why I don't see much of an increase. And with Star and Potter we had a new film come out every 2 - 3 years, Twilight had 4 films released in 3yrs. For these reasons, I feel like it will do the same as all the previous films. Your either a Twilight fan or your not....Potter was an 8 film franchise, so obviously it was going to lose some fans along the way...but many of them came back for the final installment. And the final potter wasn't even a top 3 ticket seller in the franchise....which is why i find it difficult to believe that BD2 will sell more tickets than NM.

Yeah, but there is no doubt that DH2 would have easily been the second highest ticket seller of the franchise had it opened a few years previously. I mean, DH2 is one million tickets away from being the second highest selling ticket seller of the franchise.

Why does everyone think BD2 is going to have a finale effect? The last movie in a series only does better than the previous installments if the story is leading up to something. With Potter it was whether Harry would live or die, with Star Wars it was how Skywalker became Darth Vader. Twilight isn't really leading up to a pinnacle moment, hence why I don't see much of an increase. And with Star and Potter we had a new film come out every 2 - 3 years, Twilight had 4 films released in 3yrs. For these reasons, I feel like it will do the same as all the previous films. Your either a Twilight fan or your not....Potter was an 8 film franchise, so obviously it was going to lose some fans along the way...but many of them came back for the final installment. And the final potter wasn't even a top 3 ticket seller in the franchise....which is why i find it difficult to believe that BD2 will sell more tickets than NM.

What is an example of a book series (or trilogy w/continuation) that has declined in its third outing?