baumer

Evil Dead (2013)

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Evil Dead is perhaps the riskiest, ballsiest, most gory horror film I've seen since the 80's. Once the book is opened and the demon stuff begins, it's an exercise in grotesque. For the 60 minutes or so that this takes place, it left me exhausted watching it. One character in here, the one who stupidly reads the book after he knows he is not supposed to, goes through more pain than any horror movie character I have ever seen with the exception of perhaps some of the rapists in the new version of I Spit On Your Grave. But that's debatable. Anything and everything that can happen to this guy, does. In short, he gets fucked up real bad.The movie is not perfect as it is hampered by some really bad acting in some parts and by some really annoying characters in others. But horror movies are known for this so if you can get past really egregious performances in some spots, then you'll be fine. It's a small complaint really, but it does take away from the overall rating. Another point I have to bring up that bothered me a bit is that the Ash character ends up being a woman and maybe because to me ASH is ASH, he is a man, then I would have liked it better if David would have lost his arm and becomes the hero. That was one of the cool things about the original is that it didn't follow conventional rules. Women are always the hero in horror films. But in Evil Dead, Ash was. I wasn't comfortable with the change in this one. And finally, even with a bigger budget, the tree rape scene in this one wasn't nearly as good as the original.But those complaints aside, the movie was everything they said it would be. It made the audience jump a few times and the humour was also there from the original.The good in the film is everything else. Shotguns, hammers, nailguns, knives, glass, syringes and fire is all used to mess people up. I remember reading that in the first one the cleanup on the set every night was a nightmare because of all of the goop they used for the blood. I can't imagine being a cleanup member on this set. There were gallons of blood used here and sometimes it looked more like molasses mixed with chocolate syrup mixed with red dye. It was pretty disgusting at times. I also enjoyed how duct tape was the answer to everything in the film. If you have a hole in you the size of China, just use duct, it'll fix you right up.As mentioned, once the book is open, the pace the film plays at leaves you exhausted. It doesn't slow down in the least and every other scene someone is cutting their own arm off or getting attacked with a nailgun or getting violated by nature. It's a truly terrifying film.To sum it up, I enjoyed it but not on the same level as the original. And there's nothing wrong with that as the original is one of the all time great horror films. But if you are in the mood for a bloodbath where blood literally spews on screen, this is the film for you. It does not disappoint.7.5/10

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

I'm really glad David didn't get to be Ash, because he was a pretty bleh actor and the audience hated him for the whole amount of time once it was just him and the other guy. I recall at one point (I want to say after he hugged his girlfriend when she turned back to normal) the audience let out a loud collective groan at his gullibility, which is why Eric bursting into laughter really worked there. It's REALLY good that Mia was okay after his whole burial thing, because if she had still been a demon after he dug her up it would have unforgivable on his part. And Eric, holy fuck, did he get it. Every time I thought he was done for he kept surviving, telling David he needed to stop being a puss, and ultimately making a crucial save. Lou Taylor Pucci and Jane Levy really brought some solid acting to the table here to counter out the rest of the cast. The dude got so much punishment I was actually hoping he lived. A final note, the worst part of my movie was the fat black bitch sitting next to me criticizing EVERY FUCKING CHARACTER throughout the movie, calling every girl a bitch every time she referred to her, talking about how stupid the characters and therefore the movie are. I'd love to see her and her friends placed in one of these scenarios and their arrogant fat asses get mutilated in three or four minutes. Even when Mia was legitimately outsmarting the Deadite at the end, she was talking about how stupid she was and she was dead every five seconds.And one more thing, what was up with the girl in the woods and eventually the end? There weren't any actual physical demons in the first one, I was kind of confused as to where she came from.

• Like 2

I hate to be a party pooper, but I just did not like this film at all. It went past the point of horror and simply became gore-or.  I know people hate on jump scares and slow burn, but at least movies like PA keep the illusion of "bump in the night" terror. This honestly just dipped into sick at a few points. You can only see mangled bodies and gross-out stuff a few times before it stops being scary. And it just kept piling on to eye-rolling proportions. Even if that stuff is your bag, and I respect that, the acting in this movie from everybody except the lead girl is objectively awful and holds the film down, no matter what. The script, direction, and humor aren't terrible, but it wasn't very good at all.

C.

P.S. I'm rooting for this film to do well regardless, so I have no reason to make this up- I've never seen such a worse audience reaction to a film. The audience was literally LOLing at the bearded guy's acting in every scene, and actually throughout the movie at everything. I heard at least five people say it was the "worst movie they've ever seen." Again, I have no reason to make this up- it was just a bad, bad reaction. At least the crowd was huge, even if they didn't like it.

Yea, but I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods because it was very clever and didn't take itself too seriously. This was the movie that CITW was making fun of.

And yea, the bearded guy wasn't believable at all, I'm sorry. You can tell he was acting. The lead guy was even worse, in my opinion.

Well the movie worked for me on certain levels. It was fun, made me smile and I enjoyed the creepiness and the gore. I am in the camp that laughs at such extreme gore. It's just how I am but I am glad it was a straight over the top horror flick. It was exactly how the trailers made it look and the movie followed suit.My only real issue and it is probably just because I am used to it all, is it wasn't the least bit scary, suspenseful or anything like that. Now it didn't ruin my experience because the movie delivered what I expected.B+/B

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

I felt it was kinda scary in a few parts earlier on. Other than the cheap jumps that were pretty effective, the reveals of the first really gory material worked too. The mirror face cutting girl got a big reaction from the crowd and one girl just let out this super scream that overpowered everything else. It was a good moment.

It was gory, creepy, demented, I had fun watching it, but there wasn't one scene in the movie where I felt scared.  The trailer made it look like the scariest movie ever made and the poster says "The most terrifying film you will ever experience". No, it's not, in fact, it wasn't scary at all. Not saying I didn't like it, because I did...they just shouldn't have marketed this like that because it isn't scary at all. If you go in expecting the scariest movie ever, you will be disappointed. But if you go in expecting a fun gory flick, then you will like it.

B

• Like 3

Who knew the human body can lose so much blood but still function :lol:Definitely bloodiest and most gruesome movie so far this year. But it was kind of laughable. Maybe that was the point? Make the gore and bloodfest so OTT that it was more funny than scary. Because this movie was funny in the end like going to a haunted house in Six Flags during Halloween. Good "fun" cabin in the woods type of movie, but nowhere near the wit and sense non-seriousness. And it pales in comparison to the original. B/B-

• Like 1

Who knew the human body can lose so much blood but still function :lol:Definitely bloodiest and most gruesome movie so far this year. But it was kind of laughable. Maybe that was the point? Make the gore and bloodfest so OTT that it was more funny than scary. Because this movie was funny in the end like going to a haunted house in Six Flags during Halloween.Good "fun" cabin in the woods type of movie, but nowhere near the wit and sense non-seriousness. And it pales in comparison to the original. B/B-

agreed