baumer

Evil Dead (2013)

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Deadite Mia was definitely awesome. Reminded me of possessed Reagen from The Exorcist.

I did like the little twist in the end in which she sort of became the new Ash. All along I thought her brother would be the last one standing.
  • Like 2

Against the odds, this Evil Dead remake is actually pretty good. When first announced, it seemed like an ill-advised move to remake a horror movie as iconic as The Evil Dead, especially considering the cult audience it has accrued and the comedic realm its sequels veered into. But this remake - which has the blessing of its creators, as Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell serve as producers - works because it keeps the twisted, no-holds-barred spirit of the original, while also developing its own sense of identity. It's grimmer and much more straightly horrific than any of the previous films, and it works because the drug addiction story is strong, the characters are relatable despite each fitting a specific type, and the third act takes the proceedings in a different direction than Raimi's original. (But it does still work in enough winks and nods to the original trilogy that fans will be pleased.) And like the original in its day, the level of violence is bound to shock and unnerve some viewers. This has to be one of the hardest R-ratings I have ever seen, and it's difficult to imagine just what had to be cut to bring the film down from an NC-17. And even though it takes a little while longer than the original to get going, it shares the trait of not letting up once it hits its stride. Chalk this one up not only as a wild and freaky ride, but also as one of the rare horror remakes that adds to its native franchise rather than sullying its name. And if you are a fan of the originals, be sure to sit through the credits.

B+

The friend I went with, who is a huge fan of the originals, ranks it alongside II as the best. I'd also rank it alongside II and ahead of Army of Darkness (which is still a lot of fun), but below the original.

• Like 1

6/10

Definitely wasn't scary so the 'Most terrifying film you'll ever see' tag on the poster was a big lie but as a horror it pretty much delivered. Ton's of gore but in all honesty not a whole lot else. Acting was pretty bad in parts and like what someone else mentioned, I was glad the brother got killed off. It seemed like his way of dealing with every injury was to put a bit of duct tape on it.

If you were in the middle of the woods and you had your hand chewed off, and you had nothing else to patch it up, then duct tape would have to do. This is comedy folks, I don't think they were using the American Medical Journal.

If you were in the middle of the woods and you had your hand chewed off, and you had nothing else to patch it up, then duct tape would have to do. This is comedy folks, I don't think they were using the American Medical Journal.

True but we were sort of laughing at how every single injury resulted in him getting the duct tape out. I wouldn't have said that this was a comedy at all though. With the exception of the over the top gore it was pretty much a straight up horror.

The duct tape was definitely subtle comedic relief.

My friends and I laughed hard every time they used the duct tape. They seemed to be using it for everything.

The movie was anticipated from June 13 to May 2 here after the good results in America. I went to see it today with 4 friends and we all loved the ride. It is like going to hell and coming back. I had never seen such a disturbing and insane movie in a theater or in my life. The actors could have been better, but everything else was just great. In a couple of years, when I am older, I will definitely remember Evil Dead as the main horror movie of my teen days. 

Edited by CJohn

It just barely works, but emphasis on barely.It trades in humor for over-the-top gore, and is never really scary. The characters are all generally unlikeable morons (except the teacher who is downright destroyed in this film), and the humor feels forced.Thankfully, there are some good splatter scenes, and I really liked the ending. It's not as good as the original, but what is?

I am not a horror movie aficionado. In fact horror is one of my least favorite genres. A lot of people get a kick from being scared or shocked, but I've never really been one of them. 

There's a lot of gooey, limb-choppin' mayhem here but when none of your characters are remotely interesting or act in a least bit believable way and there's no atmosphere to speak of, that gore started to make me yawn. I wasn't even that shocked by the much talked about and well made great fx. Also outside a couple of pretty scary scenes (the one in the flooded basement was good) the movie doesn't offer much tension, one of the reasons being once again the fact that all of the characters are super boring. The tagline "Most terrifying movie you'll ever experience" is just straight up bullshit. '

But.. I was still mildly entertained and the effects are indeed admirable. In the end even though I'm feeling pretty negative about this thing I dont feel like I was totally wasting my time. 

2,5/5

Just as bad and boring as Evil Dead 2. And for something that was dubbed "the most terrifying movie of all time", it was very tame. Not a single cringeworthy moment. The best part was the ending with the blood rain and the demon coming out of the ground and chasing the lead character. Looked cool and only part with a bit of tension.

C-/D+.