baumer

Oblivion (2013)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

No problem.

I'm just saying I truly find the pacing to be unbelievably good. You probably haven't seen really SLOW movies?

Thats the shit I mean haha You can't go around making guesses about people. I probably give Transformers this, or haven't seen slow movies.... I go to Film School and post on Box Office forum. YES I have seen slow films. I didnt say it was SLOW. I said the pacing was off. That doesn't mean its slow. It can mean uneven. 

OK, was just messing around. :)

Seriously though, can you pinpoint the places where the pacing went off? Cause I saw the movie one whole time (out of 8) specifically to follow the pacing and scene transitions - and I found it incredible, considering the subject matter.

I honestly can't see a single dull moment.

It wasn't that it was dull, it was that it felt like there was no clear direction. There were like 3 times I couldn't tell if the movie was on the last scene or there was another action scene after. I can't pin point it, but toward the end there is a twist an action beat then it fades to black and we are at the lake House for 2 minutes, It fades to black and then another twist and action scene. 

Sorry I can't really say which parts. I have to go see it again. The first hour though was flawless to me though.

• Like 1

Oblivion

2PM

About 70% full, mostly older people (as a side note some film called Home Run was sold out a few times...never even heard of it before today)

Trailers:

Mud: Never heard of this before. Looks like Mathew is really expanding his roles. Looks like a intresting period film-some laughs at the title though.

Hangover 3: Tons of laughs.The Heat: Laughs all over, looks kind of funny.RIPD: AKA Undead MIB. Tons of laughs came from Bridges in the trailer-mostly at the woman part when he is one that is.Fast 6: Looks decent.

Movie: Pretty good. Confusing at times, the ending is kind of strange. Kind of boring though at times, but not too boring. Cruise was well Cruise. (Who I swear wears a hair piece). The music was pretty good as was the visuals. The audience really enjoyed it.

B+

• Like 1

OK, was just messing around. :)

Seriously though, can you pinpoint the places where the pacing went off? Cause I saw the movie one whole time (out of 8) specifically to follow the pacing and scene transitions - and I found it incredible, considering the subject matter.

I honestly can't see a single dull moment.

Actually one part that stuck out was when the drones attack the human bunker and Tom Cruise jumps off the ledge and we fade to black. Wake up fight is over, Morgan Freeman is all of sudden is hurt. Its kinda wtf? 

Wow, 5 pages! This thread is moving and hot I see. Anyway, I am glad that the votes are better than the critic reviews that said it is standard/average, with the Bs doing best.

Anyway, Bye Bye and I will come back after I see it tomorrow hopefully!

• Like 1

Actually one part that stuck out was when the drones attack the human bunker and Tom Cruise jumps off the ledge and we fade to black. Wake up fight is over, Morgan Freeman is all of sudden is hurt. Its kinda wtf?

What's WTF at this point?We saw Freeman get hit after he had jumped into the modified drone the humans were using.
  • Like 1

I don't think Oblivion is perfect but I felt that the fades-to-black were done extremely well and used appropriately. It helped set the tone of the film and also gave it a sense of gravitas. It is also a methodical film so I think the fades were well-suited. 

The script is rather thinly plotted, tonally uneven (resulting in some pacing issues), convoluted and highly derivative. However, the script's weaknesses are salvaged by strong performances, good direction, stunning visuals and an excellent score. Regardless of the film's storytelling weaknesses, it is highly entertaining and with broad science fiction being in decline as of late, a step above most recent blockbusters.

7/10

Its not really much anything, is it? Yes, the visual effects are cool and Tom Cruise makes for a charismatic hero, but I was honestly bored to tears watching this. 70 minutes in I was checking my watch, 90 minutes in I was falling asleep. The movie has nothing visionary, nothing exciting or nothing ambitious to offer. Cyrus from Spill.com described Oblivion as more of a boardroom meeting than an actual compelling story, and I have to agree with that.

2/5

• Like 1

I can understand not liking it but I am not getting how people were bored watching this. At any moment I could get sucked into the cinematography, score, production design etc.. I just found this to be a massively entertaining film. 

Every time it faded to black it dropped a grade for me. Its a pet peeve of mine. I feel like fade to blacks are cop outs. Find an action beat and cut, don't fade to black. Every movie is allowed 1 fade to black if done well, but 6!? I dont know if I have ever seen a professional movie with more fade to blacks in my life. 

That said, it was fun and i was entertained. It wasnt amazing, but it did its job. I had a good time at the movies.

Every time it faded to black it dropped a grade for me. Its a pet peeve of mine. I feel like fade to blacks are cop outs. Find an action beat and cut, don't fade to black. Every movie is allowed 1 fade to black if done well, but 6!? I dont know if I have ever seen a professional movie with more fade to blacks in my life. 

That said, it was fun and i was entertained. It wasnt amazing, but it did its job. I had a good time at the movies.

Lol, I can see that although I personally liked it. Definitely agree with you last statement as well. 

Every time it faded to black it dropped a grade for me. Its a pet peeve of mine. I feel like fade to blacks are cop outs. Find an action beat and cut, don't fade to black. Every movie is allowed 1 fade to black if done well, but 6!

You might not want to watch John Carpenter's The Thing.  :P

Personally I didn't actively notice any of the Fade to Blacks, so the editing worked for me. 

Edited by Gazz

I liked it more than I expected to. The obviously great visuals go without saying, but I think the script was better than the reviews made it out to be. Some good themes, and the dialogue never made me cringe.  The performances were good too. Overally, it made for an enjoyable experience. However, the main flaw was just what I thought it would be from the first trailer- it was a bit lifeless. Absolutely no humor, and while it had a good score and cinematography, they never really clicked with me on an emotional level until the very end. With a bit more heart, it could have been truly fantastic.  But it lacked the great shots and chemistry to elevate it to that level.

7.5/10

just came back from watching oblivion , i liked it a lot! 

visually the movie is a beauty, loved the atmosphere of the film

tom cruise was great in it, even that girl , the whole time i was more suspicious of vika seeing how calm and by the book she was until ....

i wanted to know more about the tent? the alien spaceship , didnt it remind you guys a bit of id4 alien mothership interior design only no aliens were seen left to be a mystery

please tell me i'm not the only one who screamed OMG ITS JAIMIE LANNISTER , right after i kinda facepalmed coz i said it pretty loud , good thing i was in the back and it was a seasoned adult crowd, didnt see any kids or teens but then its an afternoon sessions which has a more mature crowd

i have to say tom cruise sure has an eye for futuristic scifi films, i can't think of one he's done i didnt like!

i'll edit after i read a few comments, first posted this in box office thread of the film but fear of spoiler police :) reminded me this was the more appropriate place

I really enjoyed the movie. Stunning visuals, great soundtrack and good performances from all involved. The story held me all the way through although it doesn't rise to the level of a great film. Pretty much most of the plot points we've seen before in several other films.It's basically Moon on a grander scale combined with Independence Day with elements of other films such as 2001, I Am Legend, Star Trek I and The Matrix thrown in for good measure. Still, I didn't mind as it all came together as a whole quiet well for me.A prequel would be called Oblivion:Attack of the Clones.

word ! those exact same films crossed my mind as i'm mulling over the film, i actually rewatched star trek I recently lol

I refuse to go into this. Instead, back to the movie:

Oblivion is well above the average level of modern cinema. In its genre (hardcore sci-fi) it's actually one of the best ever.On top of that it has really great visuals and music. So that's enough for me to be seeing it many times in a row. I see many movies many times only because of the visuals. But Oblivion also has very nice attention to detail and some really powerful scenes. So that I found new things to enjoy with each viewing.Examples:The scene with Vicca 52The parting scene with Julia, before she goes asleepThe answer Jack gives to Sally when it catches him lying("I want Julia to live... This is the only way" - that was a great line, because it's the asbolute truth - but we don't get to know it till much later)

agree film worth a rewatch!