With Prometheus disappointing, the stage is set for Amazing Spider-Man to explode when it drops in HK on June 29. It has been given special treatment with theaters running special arrangements like putting a 6-minute preview of TASM in front of MIB 3.IMAX: Most peak showtimes are 50% or more in just 3 days of pre-sales. It's safe to say that this will sell out almost the entire weekend.Regular theaters: Some theaters have showtimes that are already more than half full with 1.5 weeks to go.It's safe to say that this will make more than 3.5m in 4 days. Since July 1 (Sunday) is a national holiday but part of the weekend, the holiday will fall on July 2 instead meaning that Amazing Spider-Man will definitely challenge Avengers for the 4-day record. It should pull in more than 3m for the 3-day weekend and it might even claim the non-holiday OD record.TASM will have the weekend to itself, only 1 limited release is coming out on the Thursday of that weekend. The week before will see lots of releases but nothing big. The Avengers' OW suggests that HK has reached its saturation point but TASM will have weaker competition leading into its OW. My prediction right now is 4.4-4.5m in 4 days (Fri-Mon).I'll be back next week with another report.

• Like 2

With Prometheus disappointing, the stage is set for Amazing Spider-Man to explode when it drops in HK on June 29. It has been given special treatment with theaters running special arrangements like putting a 6-minute preview of TASM in front of MIB 3.IMAX: Most peak showtimes are 50% or more in just 3 days of pre-sales. It's safe to say that this will sell out almost the entire weekend.Regular theaters: Some theaters have showtimes that are already more than half full with 1.5 weeks to go.It's safe to say that this will make more than 3.5m in 4 days. Since July 1 (Sunday) is a national holiday but part of the weekend, the holiday will fall on July 2 instead meaning that Amazing Spider-Man will definitely challenge Avengers for the 4-day record. It should pull in more than 3m for the 3-day weekend and it might even claim the non-holiday OD record.TASM will have the weekend to itself, only 1 limited release is coming out on the Thursday of that weekend. The week before will see lots of releases but nothing big. The Avengers' OW suggests that HK has reached its saturation point but TASM will have weaker competition leading into its OW. My prediction right now is 4.4-4.5m in 4 days (Fri-Mon).I'll be back next week with another report.

Fuck yeah..... I would love these numbers

I honestly think 1.6M OW was great for this film.

According to Variety and BOM, it made 1.4m in 5 days. Prometheus should have done more because it had heavy promotion and not much competition. 2 weeks from MIB 3 should have been good enough to open big and Snow White didn't make much of an impact the week before. I think Battleship had more OW admissions than it which is kind of shocking. Sure, Battleship had robots but Prometheus had 3D, aliens, credible director, cool looking spaceships and futuristic setting along with starpower. To make only $250,000 more than Battleship when it had all those factors going for it looks bad.

According to Variety and BOM, it made 1.4m in 5 days. Prometheus should have done more because it had heavy promotion and not much competition. 2 weeks from MIB 3 should have been good enough to open big and Snow White didn't make much of an impact the week before. I think Battleship had more OW admissions than it which is kind of shocking. Sure, Battleship had robots but Prometheus had 3D, aliens, credible director, cool looking spaceships and futuristic setting along with starpower. To make only $250,000 more than Battleship when it had all those factors going for it looks bad.

I think Avengers opening caused you to redefine what a good opening in HK means. $1,483,043 was still the third biggest OW of the year, which is great for an original sci-fi horror film with NO starpower (Fassbender has been in a couple of good movies, but he is still relatively unknown and definitely not a draw).

I think Avengers opening caused you to redefine what a good opening in HK means. $1,483,043 was still the third biggest OW of the year, which is great for an original sci-fi horror film with NO starpower (Fassbender has been in a couple of good movies, but he is still relatively unknown and definitely not a draw).

Are you from HK ?