A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

It'd be great if they were to release a guide to the layout of the ship at some point, I love that stuff. I was reading an article from the set with an interview with the production designer, and apparently his office was practically wallpapered with blueprints. Sounds like they put a lot of work into it (as they should).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Dunno if already posted but IMDB says it s 116 minutes long.

Yep!  Four minutes shy of two hours.  Sounds like a good run time.

1 hour ago, amelin said:

It'd be great if they were to release a guide to the layout of the ship at some point, I love that stuff. I was reading an article from the set with an interview with the production designer, and apparently his office was practically wallpapered with blueprints. Sounds like they put a lot of work into it (as they should).

I'd love that!  The ship is supposed to be the third star:

• Like 1

This is a great article about the making of the film: http://www.filmjournal.com/features/suspenseful-animation-morten-tyldum-directs-jennifer-lawrence-and-chris-pratt-intimate-sci

It covers a lot and I can only quote a little:

Both Spaihts and Moritz feel that the shooting script remained true to the 2007 draft. "It wasn't like we would go out on the floor and figure out what to do, and then the actors would be changing the dialogue," Moritz insists. "The actors loved this script so much that they wanted to say Jon's lines."

"There are inevitable evolutions in the visual realization of the film," Spaihts says. "Things in the design were delightful surprises. The ship in particular has a very striking look, edgier than what I had in my head when I was writing it."

Moritz praises production designer Guy Hendrix Dyas, who worked on films like Inception. "We had some CG, but really we built every one of those sets. Every scene in the movie is shot on a set except for one day out of the entire schedule. It was an amazing accomplishment on Guy's part, a visually spectacular look."

Another key figure was cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto, who collaborated with director Morten Tyldum to achieve what Spaihts called an "elevated" style. "Morten is a classicist as a filmmaker," the writer says. "He's looking for more iconic images than trying to follow broad popular entertainment."

I chose that section because people here were talking about the sets, but there is a lot more in there.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, amelin said:

That article!

giphy.gif

(And that look!)

you may like this one too

Sketches.jpg?itok=W9cQPeAx

.... Inspired by Jon Spaihts' script, Dyas already had pencil drawings in hand when he met director Morton Tyldum in Los Angeles to pitch himself for the job. "I flew down from San Francisco, where I was working on Steve Jobs, and sketched out my ideas for what the space ship would look like," Dyas recalls. .....

Tyldem hired Dyas on the spot, intent on shaking up standard Hollywood space ship aesthetics. "We both wanted to get off the well-trodden path of traditional sci-fi where you design a shiny metal box, establish one color scheme and keep it going through-out the whole design of the ship," Dyas says.

Instead, the Starship Avalon contains multitudes of mini-environments. "It's essentially a cruise liner with 2,500 passengers," says Dyas, who studied industrial design at Royal College of Arts .... "The company in charge of this space ship wants to generate revenue from their customers so essentially what you have is a large shopping mall in space. This  notion allowed us to broke the mold for typical space ship design by introducing vivid changes in color and texture. We placed all these slightly outlandish sets within the Avalon, everything from art deco bars and French restaurants to futuristic 3-D games and swimming pools.."

sic because 'broke' the mold instead of 'break' the mold, but, eh...

https://www.wheretowatch.com/2016/12/passengers-production-designer-takes-trip-outer-space 

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, trifle said:

This is a great article about the making of the film: http://www.filmjournal.com/features/suspenseful-animation-morten-tyldum-directs-jennifer-lawrence-and-chris-pratt-intimate-sci

It covers a lot and I can only quote a little:

That is a great article. Thank you, trifle, for sharing. I'm pleased with what it seems to indicate about the film and the process it went through. It gives me hope that I will enjoy the film, despite the seemingly negative reactions from some insiders around here.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

Guy Hendrix Dyas designs are just gorgeous!

Cy952Q0WQAAObi8.jpg

Cy954CvWgAAc2ru.jpg

Cy95zvXXcAEOKV1.jpg

Here are two more articles about the designing of the ship via Space.com and Science Fiction

http://www.space.com/34909-passengers-movie-starship-design-qanda.html

http://sciencefiction.com/2016/12/05/passengers-production-designer-guy-hendrix-dyas-discusses-how-glamourous-travelling-in-space-can-be/ 

Edited by A District 3 Engineer
  • Like 4