A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'll miss Michael Sheen's more hammy performances. His turns in those Twilight movies and Tron: Legacy were life-giving.

The article says he is just taking a break.  His series didn't renew for next season and he has apparently just finished shooting three films, including Passengers.

promo

Spoiler

Edited by trifle

The amount of time and effort Sony, Chris and Jen are spending on promoting this film is insane. They clearly want blockbuster numbers. $300M WW isn't going to cut it. And I don't think that's happening. Jen draws big numbers overseas when she's in a franchise film so is it actually her or is it the X-men films and Hunger Game movies? I guess we will find out with this film. 

And I think the $120M domestic number is generous. I don't see this opening over $30M. I said earlier in the tracking thread that this film had to get good reviews and be a good movie in order to compete with Rogue One. This will probably hit $100M domestically and maybe $150M internationally for $250M WW. Which like I said above would be disappointing with the amount of promo they're spending on this. 

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

The amount of time and effort Sony, Chris and Jen are spending on promoting this film is insane. They clearly want blockbuster numbers. $300M WW isn't going to cut it. And I don't think that's happening. Jen draws big numbers overseas when she's in a franchise film so is it actually her or is it the X-men films and Hunger Game movies? I guess we will find out with this film. 

And I think the $120M domestic number is generous. I don't see this opening over $30M. I said earlier in the tracking thread that this film had to get good reviews and be a good movie in order to compete with Rogue One. This will probably hit $100M domestically and maybe $150M internationally for $250M WW. Which like I said above would be disappointing with the amount of promo they're spending on this. 

I still think this will get lost behind Rogue One, Sing, and yes, Assassin's Creed. I would not be surprised if it got a total worldwide gross significantly below Ghostbusters 2016.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I still think this will get lost behind Rogue One, Sing, and yes, Assassin's Creed. I would not be surprised if it got a total worldwide gross significantly below Ghostbusters 2016.

The only reason why I put it above Ghostbusters is because Passengers is being released in China. Otherwise I agree. But let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if this grosses less than Ghostbusters. It'll do less domestically, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nova said:

The only reason why I put it above Ghostbusters is because Passengers is being released in China. Otherwise I agree. But let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if this grosses less than Ghostbusters. It'll do less domestically, that's for sure. 

I guess we'll see, I would not be surprised if it grossed significantly more than ghostbusters WW because it's a space spectacle. And the last three big ones have done atleast 400mOS. I'm not saying Passengers will do that but you are underestimating that factor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

They aren't really doing anything expensive.  It is mostly travel, room and board. And Sony has brought on several partners who have funded part of the $100-110M after tax credit budget. Wanda in particular I think is handling a bunch of the far east promo.  Probably why it seems so much better than the promo here....

And making any money at all with the reviews it has would certainly show there is a draw, and what has it been marketed on at all, except the actors?  $300-330M would definitely cut it, but I think it will likely be higher.

Edited by trifle

11 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

...and A-list per diem. And entourages.

It's not a giant fortune, but all that starts to add up after awhile.

Sure.  I didn't mean it was nothing.  But it isn't a promo/ad extravaganza, either.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, trifle said:

They aren't really doing anything expensive.  It is mostly travel, room and board. And Sony has brought on several partners who have funded part of the $100-110M after tax credit budget. Wanda in particular I think is handling a bunch of the far east promo.  Probably why it seems so much better than the promo here....

And making any money at all with the reviews it has would certainly show there is a draw, and what has it been marketed on at all, except the actors?  $300-330M would definitely cut it, but I think it will likely be higher.

I didn't mean money wise. I meant time wise. They're flying all over the globe to promote this thing. 

16 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

...and A-list per diem. And entourages.

It's not a giant fortune, but all that starts to add up after awhile.

That's what I meant. Especially when you realize just how long they've been promoting it for. I feel like it's been a month already and the movie doesn't come out for another week. When you're promoting a film for that long, I would imagine you'd want big numbers. 

Edited by Nova

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

That's what I meant. Especially when you realize just how long they've been promoting it for. I feel like it's been a month already and the movie doesn't come out for another week. When you're promoting a film for that long, I would imagine you'd want big numbers. 

They haven't been promoting it for a month.  They promoted it for four days a week ago and three days this week They took a break in between, probably to avoid the biggest Rogue One noise. The first promo part including pretaping a series of shows which will continue to trickle out through New Year's eve.

Edited by trifle

5 minutes ago, trifle said:

They haven't been promoting it for a month.  They promoted it for four days a week ago and three days this week They took a break in between, probably to avoid the biggest Rogue One noise. The first promo part including pretaping a series of shows which will continue to trickle out through New Year's eve.

Sorry im not counting the exact days. It just feels like it's been a month with all the interviews that have been coming out. Still if it's going to trickle through New Years Eve that'll have been roughly a month of promoting a film. I know they haven't been physically promoting it for a month, but the interviews and stuff have been trickled out throughout so it's a month of promo. Most movies have a week or two of the actors doing interviews and promo. And most aren't flying out all over the world to promote the film.

Which brings me back to my point that Sony wants or was expecting blockbuster numbers from this. Probably similar to The Martian. 

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Sorry im not counting the exact days. It just feels like it's been a month with all the interviews that have been coming out. Still if it's going to trickle through New Years Eve that'll have been roughly a month of promoting a film. I know they haven't been physically promoting it for a month, but the interviews and stuff have been trickled out throughout so it's a month of promo. Most movies have a week or two of the actors doing interviews and promo. And most aren't flying out all over the world to promote the film.

Which brings me back to my point that Sony wants or was expecting blockbuster numbers from this. Probably similar to The Martian. 

Well, sure. Every studio expects every film to do well when they green light it.  Although those positive about it from day one were citing Gravity and Interstellar numbers.  But you never joined my >$200M domestic club, and a lot felt that was over the line without any reviews or bad buzz out.  This wasn't ever expected to do CACW or Rogue One type numbers.  And if it makes money, which I'm pretty sure it will, it will be due to the stars, given the current state of reviews.

Edited by trifle