A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

38 minutes ago, ThatOneBadguy said:

Didn't GB start its marketing campaign 4 months and a half before release?

Makes me wonder if they just decided to hold off the trailer release so they could attach it to Sausage Party.

If they decided to hold off the trailer, I would hope it's for a better reason than that.

• Like 2

I guess no one is paying attention or wants to believe that the reason they haven't seen a single frame of this movie is because of the obvious reason.

That it's still on court order lockdown. SONY will say whatever to placate the public but their lies are all apart of a strategy to not spoil the anticipation of film before its finally released. The judge on this cross-continental multi-million dollar tech lawsuit has frozen all films connected to this project. Passengers is just one of them. Until that lawsuit is cleared up, regardless of whatever lies SONY tells the public, you won't be seeing a single frame of this movie. 

1 hour ago, comicbookguy said:

I guess no one is paying attention or wants to believe that the reason they haven't seen a single frame of this movie is because of the obvious reason.

That it's still on court order lockdown. SONY will say whatever to placate the public but their lies are all apart of a strategy to not spoil the anticipation of film before its finally released. The judge on this cross-continental multi-million dollar tech lawsuit has frozen all films connected to this project. Passengers is just one of them. Until that lawsuit is cleared up, regardless of whatever lies SONY tells the public, you won't be seeing a single frame of this movie. 

Movies get out from under preliminary injunctions all the time. The ones where effects were complete were allowed by the judge to go forward, at minimum.  It could still be due to effects, but no one seems to be saying MOVA are the ONLY ones who can finalize these effects.  It could have delayed the process, though.

6 hours ago, ThatOneBadguy said:

Didn't GB start its marketing campaign 4 months and a half before release?

Makes me wonder if they just decided to hold off the trailer release so they could attach it to Sausage Party.

They'll miss at least half of their market there, but I suppose it would end up in front of more movies than just that.

19 minutes ago, trifle said:

Movies get out from under preliminary injunctions all the time. The ones where effects were complete were allowed by the judge to go forward, at minimum.  It could still be due to effects, but no one seems to be saying MOVA are the ONLY ones who can finalize these effects.  It could have delayed the process, though.

You haven't seen a single frame of this film? Why?

The judge ordered not a single frame of film effected by MOVA can be released. 

If movies get out of preliminary injunctions all the time, then why, in the report of this story concerning the lawsuit, does it feature lawyers approaching the judge in a request of release, citing its star, its wealth, and with the knowledge that the reels have already been received from the tech company. Yet, we saw no judge giving it the go ahead.

The whole situation is reel and measurable. Never trust the studio's press releases when there are multi-millions on the line. It's safer to go with the judge who cant and wont lie or twist the public in a manipulative way. 

6 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

You haven't seen a single frame of this film? Why?

The judge ordered not a single frame of film effected by MOVA can be released. 

If movies get out of preliminary injunctions all the time, then why, in the report of this story concerning the lawsuit, does it feature lawyers approaching the judge in a request of release, citing its star, its wealth, and with the knowledge that the reels have already been received from the tech company. Yet, we saw no judge giving it the go ahead.

The whole situation is reel and measurable. Never trust the studio's press releases when there are multi-millions on the line. It's safer to go with the judge who cant and wont lie or twist the public in a manipulative way. 

The lawyers that approached the judge in that story were the lawyers for the special effects company claiming to own MOVA, not Sony's lawyers.  The effects company cited more than one picture needing to finalize effects.  There was then going to be a hearing to 'modify the injunction', but Sony said it wasn't going to use MOVA any more.  Again, they could be lying, but since the judge did let some films where this aspect was complete go ahead to market, I think Sony would have had a good claim if it wanted to go that way. 

Obviously, we won't know until we hear something definitive.  However, that lawsuit is going to go on for years, and I can easily see studios deciding to cut their losses, in order to move pictures forward.

I personally hope they won't move the date since this is my most anticipated movie of the year.  On the other hand, I guess it would be better for them to move it than to ruin it.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

There's rumors circulating that the movie is going to be delayed until APRIL.

Why the fuck can't they just deal with the lawsuit as soon as possible?!

The lawsuit is going to take years.  The movie won't work around the lawsuit. If it delays, it will be to avoid the technology all together imho.

Where are you hearing these rumors, though?

21 hours ago, comicbookguy said:

...the studio.  They'll lie to you, but that judge wont. 

3 hours ago, comicbookguy said:

...their lies are all apart of a strategy...

1 hour ago, comicbookguy said:

the judge who cant and wont lie or twist the public in a manipulative way. 

Dude, it's just a movie. No need to take any of this so seriously. :lol: 

Just now, comicbookguy said:

If it's just a movie..then why does SONY need to lie about it?

Surely you don't find it surprising that a company will try to put their best face on a situation? It's hardly lying... neither you or I know enough of the actual information to make that sort of determination.

If you don't want to accept anything a studio says at face value, well, that's up to you.

16 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Surely you don't find it surprising that a company will try to put their best face on a situation? It's hardly lying... neither you or I know enough of the actual information to make that sort of determination.

If you don't want to accept anything a studio says at face value, well, that's up to you.

Of course I don't find it surprising. Disney is doing the same thing concerning Rogue One, WB and Ayer was doing it concerning Suicide Squad. I expect the lies, but I just call them out when I see them.

SONY hasn't released anything about Passengers because of nothing to do with this delicate potentially multi-million dollar cross continental lawsuit taking place, a lawsuit that has locked up several films in it's grip...no no, that's not it...they aren't releasing any footage because of some other vague reason. Yes, for sure.

192280-comic_book_guy_13018.jpg

Too much idle speculation. There is no indication that MOVA was the only provider that could finish these effects. But for me the bigger issue is the sound of silence. Which is that if the preliminary injunction against MOVA was truly threatening to derail the film, a company like Sony, with a lot of resources, would have immediately filed to intervene in the case in an attempt to modify the stay. However we have not heard anything and there is no way Sony could have done so without so much as a word in the press. Now that does not mean the absence of a trailer is meaningless. We just do not know at this point. If the trailer drops next week then it is much ado about nothing.

Edited by straggler

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/76327962957463142

Steven Weintraub
@JLSinsky I'll bet they're waiting on finished VFX shots so the first trailer looks great. Very confident it's coming out this yearAug 10, 2016, 10:43 AM
Hope this is based on some actual inside knowledge. I'm starting to feel like this movie is a collective delusion.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/76327962957463142

Hope this is based on some actual inside knowledge. I'm starting to feel like this movie is a collective delusion.

Me too.  Why they couldn't just give us a teaser that doesn't even use the effects, I don't know.  As I understand it the inside the ship parts were built sets, not green screen.  But if it is great and comes soon......  I'll still think they've missed showing it to the summer theater going audience, to be honest.  But give us something, Sony!

(By the way he saw footage at CinemaCon and really liked it.)

Edited by trifle

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, comicbookguy said:

Of course I don't find it surprising. Disney is doing the same thing concerning Rogue One, WB and Ayer was doing it concerning Suicide Squad. I expect the lies, but I just call them out when I see them.

But, how do you know they're lying?

Edited by RandomJC

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2