A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

38 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Surprised about how lush and spectacular it is/looks, didn't expect so much action either.

If the movie's emotional beats work, this could do really well.

This Christmas,in space, are you

Team_Jlaw_Pratt_Pratt_Did_It

or

Team_Fifth_Movie-About_A_Death_Star

?

Choose Wisely.

I don't even have to choose, it's all about La La Land, Passengers, and Assassin's Creed in Dec for me, maybe I'll even check out The Space between us, but won't see Rogue one the theater. 

• Like 1

Just now, 4815162342 said:

@Nutella of Arabia the trailer isn't selling any hard sci-fi IMO. Everything in the trailer leans more towards space opera. So I'm fine with the production design.

Think of it as a space cruise ship where the travelers are in cryo for 98℅ of the trip.

So it seems weird to spend the 100m+ extra on lavash interior if they are only gonna be awake a for a month out of 120 years. 

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

So it seems weird to spend the 100m+ extra on lavash interior if they are only gonna be awake a for a month out of 120 years. 

Not to mention building this gargantuan ship with so much wasted space when you could build it much smaller and have the trip take 30 years. Or less.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Do you really think it's strange for humans to overspend on things they barely use?

Because that's typical human behavior.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

It looks fine. Nothing too special, I'll see it. But I gotta agree with Tele on this. Hard Sci Fi in a contemporary 5 star hotel trying to look vintage. Its also a little too glossy. 

I am sure context will be given in the info dump reveal scene at the end with Morpheus.

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

About this Titanic comparison, are there any similarities other than they are both expensive movies in the romance genre? 

I think it's precisely because neither is really technically in the romance genre, one of a disaster movie, the other is Sci-fi/Space, but both movies very much focus on two central characters, elaborating on the process of them falling in love in a relatively isolated surrounding, with uncertain future prospects. 

The "you die I die" line sort of invites this sort of comparison too, that's probably intentional.

Edited by NCsoft

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

About this Titanic comparison, are there any similarities other than they are both expensive movies in the romance genre? 

I can think of a few:

(Almost) the entire film takes place on a large ship heading to a remote destination.

Something goes wrong and disrupts the journey.

The movie is sold on the chemistry and romance between the two attractive leads.

But it also has elements of spectacle and disaster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Not really. You're just seeing that a premise can only go a certain way.

I guess? Maybe you can set it up in a way that makes sense to me?

It's a ship going to another star system, with a bunch of humans in stasis for the long journey. But it's a luxury ship with every indulgence... for when? Its designers have the ability to construct a synthetic bartender indistinguishable from a human... but only the top half? With the bottom half being crude metal legs? It's a ship built with these cavernous lounges and an incredible amount of materials and weight, and yet it's trying to go through interstellar space? If you want to emphasize the incredible opulence and embrace the space opera-ness, what's the point of even adhering to the logic of traveling in stasis? Once you've set up such incredible leaps of physical design (and taken the whole concept well into the softest of SF), using a hard SF concept (one that's used to fit theoretical space travel into our physical reality) seems terribly forced and awkward.

If you're gonna go FIFTH ELEMENT, go FIFTH ELEMENT! But trying to square FIFTH ELEMENT with GRAVITY? 

• Like 1