A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Agreed but you did literally this exact same thing in the Doctor Strange thread like two weeks ago because of folding buildings

But I wasn't criticizing Dr Strange in my mind, just noticing the obvious, like everybody else, and wondering if the imagery was from the comics, which is kinda is (someone posted a page of the Dr Strange comics that featured folding buildings).

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Gods of Egypt is a top 20 all-time stupid movie and that's our jam

I still need to get it on Bluray and watch it 24 hours straight to see what happens to me. I bet it will involve loss of hair and a big IQ drop. 

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Gods of Egypt is a top 20 all-time stupid movie and that's our jam

Still wonder what went through Geoffrey Rush s mind as he shot his scenes in Gods of Egypt, must have been pretty epic.

Gods of Egypt is a widely misunderstood movie.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

They're not answering, they're just trying to shoe-horn in remotely-plausible concepts to explain away the silliness. :) I agree that it doesn't look worse than any random sci-fi crazy/action thingy, where looks are all that matter. The dichotomy of the various concepts is what seems strange to me.... like if you built a 21st-century luxury speedboat and then made it use sails and wonder why it was taking so long to get from A to B.

What if the future propulsion (always made up) that gets them to relativistic speeds isn't something where bulk is a problem, maybe in fact you need a pretty huge platform for the process (think solar energy or wind energy arrays, but a space version.)  I'm only speculating myself, and I admit I'm charmed and willing to like the movie and ship.

3 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

So it's not supposed to be a luxury liner then? Or is it?

The marketing has already said that there is more than one level of ticket. 

Spoiler

There is a certain time period planned not in stasis, before arrival to the planet.

I wonder how fit for full planetary gravity a body in stasis for 120 years would be.  To be clear, I don't think of any of that as spoilers (some things are but they aren't in this post).  I just know I hate it when people post spoilers and I am purposely depriving myself of trailers, etc.

By the way, avoid twitter if you don't like spoilers, there are few people gleefully tweeting spoilers from the screenplay, but they do exist.

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

So they're sending a cruise ship as a colony ship? K then. Well, could be worse.

Why can't it be both?

I thought this was cool, from the screenwriter:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

No, it's just as stupid. :lol: Which is okay, that doesn't mean it'll be a bad movie.

Look at it this way: subluminal acceleration in the solar system with no stasis to acclimate to space environment. Max speed in deep space with stasis. Subluminal deceleration in target solar system to allow time for colony landing preparations, etc.

Add in 2Xth Century gilded age spare no expense because we can splurge and enjoy ourselves and you have your setting.

Is it super serious, intelligent, and practical? No. But it hardly warrants being perplexed or stupefied.

• Like 3

Tele wanted probably around 100 or 150 people to be on a shitty space ship while they are awake for 2-3 years or so. It is fine. It is Tele. Tele stanned for Mechanic and Ghostbusters and he is very excited for Snowden, and thought Sausage Party was stupid and had 0 appeal, and he doesn't understand the appeal of M7 and Deepwater Horizon so everything is fine. This is all good news. We should be happy. Passengers won't be stupid, it will have a lot of appeal to the GA and it will be a good movie. Supreme King Tele already assured that with his posts and predictions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Tele wanted probably around 100 or 150 people to be on a shitty space ship while they are awake for 2-3 years or so. It is fine. It is Tele. Tele stanned for Mechanic and Ghostbusters and he is very excited for Snowden, and thought Sausage Party was stupid and had 0 appeal, and he doesn't understand the appeal of M7 and Deepwater Horizon so everything is fine. This is all good news. We should be happy. Passengers won't be stupid, it will have a lot of appeal to the GA and it will be a good movie. Supreme King Tele already assured that with his posts and predictions. 

Tele wanted Moon on a ship. Which would be cool, but an entirely different kettle of fish from this movie.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Look at it this way: subluminal acceleration in the solar system with no stasis to acclimate to space environment. Max speed in deep space with stasis. Subluminal deceleration in target solar system to allow time for colony landing preparations, etc.

Add in 2Xth Century gilded age spare no expense because we can splurge and enjoy ourselves and you have your setting.

Is it super serious, intelligent, and practical? No. But it hardly warrants being perplexed or stupefied.

Nah man, they should be all living on a tiny ship that was only the room where they also sleep. In fact, the ship should be only the containers and have room for nothing else.

• Like 1

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Tele wanted Moon on a ship. Which would be cool, but an entirely different kettle of fish from this movie.

Yep, entirely different genres/target audiences

A studio's not spending 100M+ on Moon 2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

What if the future propulsion (always made up) that gets them to relativistic speeds isn't something where bulk is a problem, maybe in fact you need a pretty huge platform for the process (think solar energy or wind energy arrays, but a space version.)  I'm only speculating myself, and I admit I'm charmed and willing to like the movie and ship.

The storytellers can make up whatever tech they want, obviously. I just question doing that while adhering to such a strict "stasis" concept... it feels more awkward the higher-tech the rest of the ship is.

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Yes, I get all that. And I'm fine with it -- my frustration comes from the rest of it. It feels so incredibly forced. Why should these two passengers have to deal with something like this, in a story environment that basically tries to do everything to get away from the central concept? The company and the world being presented has such huge and limitless resources that these choices to make this sort of journey are completely absurd.

The script might be great -- obviously it's gotten a lot of hosannas -- and maybe the chemistry and wonderful human performances will carry the story. But to me it still feels like some very weird choices were made in terms of world-building.

• Like 1