A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

OK OW for Oblivion, but I still think Universal shot themselves in the foot with it by not waiting till summer. A June release would have been perfect given the weak June lineup this year. Probably could have done 50/160 or something like that. Now I think it will struggle to break 100 because May is insanely crowded with blockbusters this year.

• Like 1

Sci Fi movies tend to get Lower Cinemascores. Minority Report and Inception got B+ Cinemascores. Looper got a B-. Cloud Atlas got a C+

Inception got an A with young people and Looper had a B+ with young people and a B overall. The masses really didn't want to invest 3 hours in what Cloud Atlas was doing. IDK how Oblivion breaks down but the score is anything but remarkable.

OBLIVION's opening is 7th all-time for April by the way.

I think Fast Five has the OW record in April, right? I wonder what movies can beat that record, I believe it's almost 90M OW or so.

I think it would make less if it was in June.

How do you figure? OW would have almost certainly been higher since its summer proper (not the middle of April) and it wouldn't have been headed straight into one of the most crowded Mays ever for high profile blockbusters. Now that After Earth has moved out of June, Man of Steel is essentially the only big live action June blockbuster. I think Oblivion would have benefited hugely from that.

Edited by IronMan89

How do you figure? OW would have almost certainly been higher since its summer proper (not the middle of April) and it wouldn't have been headed straight into one of the most crowded Mays ever for high profile blockbusters. Now that After Earth has moved out of June, Man of Steel is essentially the only big live action June blockbuster. I think Oblivion would have benefited hugely from that.

The original July 19th opening would have been better than June

I think Fast Five has the OW record in April, right? I wonder what movies can beat that record, I believe it's almost 90M OW or so.

That's a difficult number to beat. I don't think CAPTAIN AMERICA: TWS or TRANSCENDENCE could beat that.

The framing of that makes it much less impressive than 38 million.

But when you break it down even further, The two Fast films are sequels, Clash of the Titans is in 3D and it was in the apex of the 3D craze, Anger Management had Jack and Adam, Scary Movie 4 is a sequel, and then it's nestled in between two kids movies, Rio and Hop.So when you put it in perspective, three of the six films that opened higher were sequels and one was 3D. So the 38 mill is rather expected. Maybe it's not impressive but then again, maybe people here were expecting too much.
  • Like 1

AFTER EARTH isn't really out of June since it opens on the last weekend of May. Both MOS and MU could open north of 100 M. Where will OBLIVION go?

AFTER EARTH isn't really out of June since it opens on the last weekend of May. Both MOS and MU could open north of 100 M. Where will OBLIVION go?

But it's just that it has more of a summer feel to it, imo. I think it could have done a little better in the summer too.
  • Like 1

Pacific Rim is a FAR bigger gamble than this movie was, imo. No big stars, potentially very nice audience, a director that's never had a box office success, and trailers that bring to mind Battleshit.

Well Cruise is a big star and 38 M is a big number?

But it's just that it has more of a summer feel to it, imo. I think it could have done a little better in the summer too.

Yes, it has. But then again the competition would have been fierce. I wonder though why Universal changed the release date.