A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

But when you break it down even further, The two Fast films are sequels, Clash of the Titans is in 3D and it was in the apex of the 3D craze, Anger Management had Jack and Adam, Scary Movie 4 is a sequel, and then it's nestled in between two kids movies, Rio and Hop.So when you put it in perspective, three of the six films that opened higher were sequels and one was 3D. So the 38 mill is rather expected. Maybe it's not impressive but then again, maybe people here were expecting too much.

I dunno. I think 38 million is quite impressive. I wasn't expecting much more than 30-32 but then Friday numbers rolled in and everything went better than I expected.

AFTER EARTH isn't really out of June since it opens on the last weekend of May. Both MOS and MU could open north of 100 M. Where will OBLIVION go?

That's true but how big will After Earth really be after its OW? The fact that it's Shyamalan means it could easily fall off the cliff after Memorial Day. I don't expect it to dominate in June unless it gets surprisingly amazing WOM. I think either June 7 or its original release date would have worked a lot better. As baumer said, it's a summer feeling movie through and through.

That's true but how big will After Earth really be after its OW? The fact that it's Shyamalan means it could easily fall off the cliff after Memorial Day. I don't expect it to dominate in June unless it gets surprisingly amazing WOM. I think either June 7 or its original release date would have worked a lot better. As baumer said, it's a summer feeling movie through and through.

Opening before MOS opens? MOS is the reason why Sony moved AFTER EARTH. Let us talk again after PACIFIC RIM's opening weekend.  ;)

Universal are such frigging idiots. Here is what they did. They originally scheduled Oblivion for July 19th. Then for some reason, moved Oblivion to April and put Jurassic Park 3D for July 19th. Then they moved Jurassic Park 3D to April as well and put RIPD in the July 19th spot. What the fuck were they thinking?

• Like 3

Considering the relative lack of buzz, Oblivion certainly opened at the high end of expectations.

As for a bigger opening in summer, let's remember it opened this weekend against ZERO competition. It wouldn't have had that advantage in July. Personally, I think it would've had a very similar opening.

Opening before MOS opens? MOS is the reason why Sony moved AFTER EARTH. Let us talk again after PACIFIC RIM's opening weekend.  ;)

Eh, I still think it would have been fine because there's nothing big (live action wise) besides MOS until the beginning of July. Since when is there not room enough for 2 blockbusters to do well at the same time in summer? I mean c'mon now, MOS should be big but it's no The Avengers/TDKR. We're talking about a franchise that hasn't been truly successful since the 70's. After Earth's release change is probably more to do with the fact that they know Shyamalan's movies have been falling off majorly after their OWs and so they don't want MOS to really kill it. Not cause MOS is so huge it would kill anything.

38 million is indeed rather impressive for Oblivion- with international business, it should make enough money to not be a disaster. I predicted only 30 million for it, due to the lack of buzz.  For reference, most of the crowd when I saw it yesterday was older white men, so that may explain why the buzz was underestimated- that's the toughest demographic for me to get a hold on.  

• Like 1

My guess is that Uni wanted two weeks out of Oblivion instead of one, since they would have been crushed in the sophomore frame of their July release by The Wolverine. But without 3D I don't know if they would have gotten more than a 40-45m opening in the summer either. They benefitted from being really the only deal in town this weekend.

• Like 1

Eh, I still think it would have been fine because there's nothing big (live action wise) besides MOS until the beginning of July. Since when is there not room enough for 2 blockbusters to do well at the same time in summer? I mean c'mon now, MOS should be big but it's no The Avengers/TDKR. We're talking about a franchise that hasn't been truly successful since the 70's. After Earth's release change is probably more to do with the fact that they know Shyamalan's movies have been falling off majorly after their OWs and so they don't want MOS to really kill it. Not cause MOS is so huge it would kill anything.

AFTER EARTH before and MOS after is good?

I know it's different demos they are going for, but isn't it possible that Pain and Gain takes some of Oblivion's audience away next weekend?

I know it's different demos they are going for, but isn't it possible that Pain and Gain takes some of Oblivion's audience away next weekend?

It is possible. I see Pain and Gain being the breakout movie of the month.

I think so. Older males are the primary audience for Pain & Gain as well.

I wouldn't doubt it. Pain and Gain will skew younger and more diverse, but white male action fans are still going to turn up, and they made up quite a bit of Oblivion's audience. 

Exactly. Or even go against movies like After Earth and Man of Steel no? As it is it's got to compete against the heaviest hitters of summer after next weekend.

Opening between those two isn't good since FF Vl and THE HANGOVER lll as well as STID are also on its tail.

Exactly. Or even go against movies like After Earth and Man of Steel no? As it is it's got to compete against the heaviest hitters of summer after next weekend.

or how about move JP 3D to September or October and put Oblivion on April 5th. And surely Oblivion is a better choice for July 19th than RIPD.  Such weird decisions.

They found two weeks of a clear playing field, both overseas and domestically, and they took it. I think this was their best bet.

• Like 1