Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

Yeah, fuckin' insane. haha

$62 million adjusted before 3D...on a non-holiday Thursday in May. Whew.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Still iffy... No sell out so far here. Not even IMAX, Avengers and TDKR both had every IMAX show sold out all weekend. 

It does have a lot of showtimes. May be reason why there are not a lot of sellouts. 

• Like 1

By the way, I know it's ridiculously early, but I'm feeling confident about my $63m OD guess.

If that happens then a divergence has happened between the canadian and US market,.

• Founder / Operator

The same thing could happen to STID, perhaps worse. lol

STID could end up in that Transformers category where critics--some of them fans--don't take well, but general audiences enjoy it more.

Or it could just bomb.

One or the other. :P

• Like 1

Everytime I see midnight numbers from tentpole releases like this it really makes me that much more impressed with Deathly Hallows: Part 2.  I know their was a massive fanbase, it had 3D and represented roughly 25% of the OW, but still.  43.5 million!?  I remember I went to a 20 screen theater and EVERY ONE was sold out.  

Is there any movie that comes out this year that has the potential to break it?  My top pick would be Catching Fire but without 3D I just can't see it happening.

I don't think it'll ever be broken, at least for a VERY long time.

It does have a lot of showtimes. May be reason why there are not a lot of sellouts. 

But Jay is going about it the right way with the IMAX comparison. It has a ton of showtimes in 2D and 3D which makes it impossible to judge demand because sellouts are more difficult with that many showtimes. But the IMAX shows are limited and always have been limited. Your IMAX showtime/screen count has not gone up much at all since July 2012 when TDKR came out. I just checked the theater I went to for TDKR in IMAX and IM3 did not sell out the two morning shows today. TDKR sold out every IMAX show at that theater for Friday through Sunday. I went to a 8 AM show Saturday morning and it was sold out.

• Like 1