baumer

The Great Gatsby (2013)

51 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think this is one of the most memorable movies of the year. And I am not a big fan of Lurhman at all, Australia just makes me want to throw up. The Great Gatsby still has a lot of problems but man, I enjoyed the hell out of it. B+

People are so cold. They take all advantages of Gatsby. Yet when Gatsby dies, no one even shows up except Nick. Apprantly Gatsby is no use for them when he dies. Even Daisy is cold.

Gatsby also lies, but he is different to all other rich people, especially the ones that are born rich. They are much more hypocrisy and cold.  Over Diasy, Tom fights for ocuppying while Gatsby fights for love.

This is what people and life like in the prosperous 1920s New York. Gatsby's death shot = bust of spurious 1920s. Soon the Great Depression takes over.

Nick saw all through. He pulled out from New York, leaving all bustling, dreams and vanity behind.

Extravagant parties can not cover the emptiness and loneliness beneath. All the glitz ends to be pipe dreams.

• Like 1

i don't know what to think 

i feel like i'm watching the story of a pimp , razzling and dazzling the masses of new york socialites

and the speed , the colours its all i can do to keep up , so far doing ok because i did read this far into the book 

and how about the music wtf its certainly throwing me for a loop , feels anachronistic 

i have to say what a party in the beginning damn ! that's what you call putting on a show even if its not really my scene i'm more of a quiet evening listening to music in a jazz club and having great convo but nothing wrong with a wild party once in a blue moon

ok he's about to meet daisy at carraway's house be back in a bit 

def doing a good job of reminding viewer something shady is going on with the mysterious calls and visitors and his constant "not now..."

damn daisy was one flaky chick , a mirage if one ever saw one before ! :( how could she be so cutthroat 

ah gotta admire carraway's staying by his side even after it all went south 

poor gatsby chasing after a dream to point of not seeing it was a pipe dream a castle in the sand

as for his fortune he was the frontman of bootleggers? hmmm

I have to say a stunningly visual movie , i wasnt bored  not bad i liked it don't know why i held off watching it but i'm glad i have now .

Is it better to hold on to hope against hope giddiness of a roller-coaster ride full of glitter dreams and possibilities

or face up to stark reality that's more like that place they passed through on their way to NEW YORK city dark gritty shades of grey and grime with a drop of colour where dreams go to die 

on a side note i wonder is this what leonardo dicaprio life is like a life of leisure , from what little i see he and toby have been bff for ages and always partied together a lot until toby got married and settle down 

I'm giving this an A 

Edited by ladyevenstar22

its biggest issues are the really excessive use of cheap CGI and the bad pace, many scenes in the first act had no purpose whatsoever and what should have been like 10 or 15 minutes was stretched out into an entire second act. Other minor issues such as ever-moving camera and frenetic editing made the worst moments of the film even more noticeable.

It ends in a really high note though. The third act, starting from my personal favorite scene, the fight in the hotel to Gatsby being killed and his funeral, was really great.

The performances was good, special praises for Elizabeth Debicki, Jason Clarke and Joel Edgerton. Nick and Daisy relationship was undeveloped, but ultimately fun to watch and one of the few bright spots of the movie, Maguire and Mulligan had great chemistry together. 55/100