baumer

The Great Gatsby (2013)

51 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I don't love MR quite as much as everyone else. It's a B+ movie for me. MR is a young director going crazy with his concepts, and it's all a bit too much. TGG is a more mature, confident piece of work.

Moulin Rouge! is a fucking piece of shit. One of my most hated movies. I just find the way it attempts to mix carnivalesque buffoonery and constant gimmicks with a tragic love story extremely jarring to say the least. 

That was the whole point of the movie. These tragic beings trying to find a semblance of truth, freedom, love and real beauty amidst the orgy of madness and oppression.

That was the whole point of the movie. These tragic beings trying to find a semblance of truth, freedom, love and real beauty amidst the orgy of madness and oppression.

Sure in theory that mix could work but the end result turned out to be just heinous, imo

Sure in theory that mix could work but the end result turned out to be just heinous, imo

I loved it. And yeah, it is an incredibly subjective thing. There were heavy Bollywood influences as well, like the celebration of everything OTT, which just wouldn't click with many Western cultures and sensibilities. 

Can book readers tell me what was the book point that the movie didn`t get across? What I got from the movie is that eveyrone, including Gatsby, was shallow but he was shallow and pure, totlaly pathetic and yet endearing. Leo`s trully the king of onion peel characters in commercial movies.

This. Is the 3D any good? When I watched a trailer for it in front of Jack the Giant Slayer earlier this year, the most impressive things in 3D were the Art Deco inspired motifs and designs adorning the credits, instead of the actual scenes from the movie. :P

I thought it was pretty good, but I prefer subtler, depth-based 3D than aggressive, in-your-face stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah so I really, really liked this. At first I wasn't interested in seeing it because the Roger Rabbit-CGI look from the advertising and the long runtime was kind of a turnoff, but everything I was dreading turned out to be great. Luhrmann took the content of the novel and magnified it by 100. I don't think it's boring at all. It's a total sensory treat. My favorite favorite thing about it is the music. I know it's not the first time it's been done but I just think that's a brilliant concept when used correctly- swingers in the Roaring 20s getting down to Jay Z and Beyonce... love it!

The extravagance and over the top, kind of do or die drama of the whole thing, it's a great counter to the usual gritty, brooding realism we've come to expect from modern cinema. This kind of has a 60's feel. I loved the acting especially Leo (he's really larger than life as Gatsby), Carey, and Joel Edgerton, who was a force from the first moment he appeared on screen. The only major weak point in Gatsby for me was Toby, the guy is such a dweeb, his narration is terrible, I really don't think he's very talented and can't carry a movie. But everything else was great and totally unexpected so bravo.

B+/A-

• Like 1

yeha, the movie kinda runs slow while Tobey was the main focus. But once Leo takes over it falls into place. Tobey was really lucky with the Spiderman deal. Though his chemistry with Leo from real life friendship was palatable through the movie.

yeha, the movie kinda runs slow while Tobey was the main focus. But once Leo takes over it falls into place. Tobey was really lucky with the Spiderman deal. Though his chemistry with Leo from real life friendship was palatable through the movie.

Am I the only one who thinks he's simply not a good actor? I suppose he's competent enough but he definitely got lucky in his career.

Joel Edgerton is straight up very talented. He was excellent.

Tobey has the same dazed and confused geek schtick that worked in the first 2 SMs and Ice Storm and I don`t think he has more range than that.  

Edgerton was great. Even his decidedly unAmerican accent didn`t hurt.

Edited by fishnets

Am I the only one who thinks he's simply not a good actor? I suppose he's competent enough but he definitely got lucky in his career.

Joel Edgerton is straight up very talented. He was excellent.

I think Maguire is a terrific actor. Forget Spider-man, but he has been really good in films like Pleasantville, CHR and especially Brothers.

Tobey has the same dazed and confused geek schtick that worked in the first 2 SMs and Ice Storm and I don`t think he has more range than that.  

Edgerton was great. Even his decidedly unAmerican accent didn`t hurt.

Tobey did not play the Venom thing well at all, being just one of the many problems of SM3. I'll tell you, though, that if they do the Venom story for one of the TASM movies, Garfield will play it much better. And then get well built Winklevoss Armie Hammer as Eddie Brock instead of some skinny doppelganger a la Topher Grace.

Edited by Jay Beezy

The thing that annoys me about Maguire's acting is that "Tobey is good at only playing Tobey". He got lucky that he had many good movies where the roles were tailor-made for his very limited skills like Pleasantville and The Ice Storm

The tragic thing is Peter Parker is a character who in comics is closer to a more layered and charming Holden Caulfied than the characters (or character) Tobey plays. But in the movies, Peter was written in such a way so as to cater to Maguire's strengths, which aren't many. Meaning the character immediately lost all of his more fascinating nuances to become a rather run of the mill "nerd with a heart of gold" trope example. I see why some people will be satisfied with that, but for me it just isn't enough, especially since I grew up with Peter Parker and all of his complexities. And when Tobey was required to stretch out the character in the sequels, he failed miserably IMO.

Tobey only gets a free pass because he plays inoffensive dweeby characters. You don't feel like bashing the guy because the guy doesn't seem capable of bashing anybody back. But mediocrity has to be called out regardless.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

Not sure how i feel about this movie yet. I didn't mind the style, although the music sometimes didn't work for me. The acting was really good for the most part, although some did seem like they were trying too hard.Part of me wants to like it while the other part realizes not much really happened.Hard movie to grade, but for now I couldn't go higher than a B. That may change when i dwell on it more.

I think Maguire is a terrific actor. Forget Spider-man, but he has been really good in films like Pleasantville, CHR and especially Brothers.

Haven`t seen other 2 but he worked well in Pleasentville because that played to his strengths - dazed and confused geek. He has a good comic timing, though.

Watched MR last night. It`s a masterpiece. End of. Haters can suck it. terrific stuff through and through.

Haven`t seen other 2 but he worked well in Pleasentville because that played to his strengths - dazed and confused geek. He has a good comic timing, though.

Watched MR last night. It`s a masterpiece. End of. Haters can suck it. terrific stuff through and through.

What is MR?