cannastop

Best Original Song 2016

"Try Everything" and that Adam Levine song from Sing Street are the only contenders now. I think the only way Sing Street has a shot is if the movie gets a wide expansion.

Edited by tribefan695

I know some people don't like it, but I really appreciate Try Everything from Zootopia. Not only does it play over the train ride, which is the most beautiful part of the movie, I even love how it sends off the characters. I adore the curtain call where Judy bumps Nick with her butt to get him to dance. I thought I would have resented a dance part ending, but I ended up loving it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cannastop said:

Why are you counting out Moana?

Because La La Land is more Oscar-friendly (live-action musical, director of Whiplash, Ryan Gosling, etc) than Moana. 

It'll likely win Best Comedy/Musical at the GG, while Moana won't even be nominated. Plus, it could get nominated for Best Director, Actor, Actress, Screenplay, Sound Mixing and Editing, while Moana most likely won't

I just see La La Land getting more Oscar love, while Moana enjoys tremendous BO success to help top off Disney's already spectacular 2016. 

3 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Because La La Land is more Oscar-friendly (live-action musical, director of Whiplash, Ryan Gosling, etc) than Moana. 

>Implying that Disney animated musicals aren't Oscar friendly in the music categories.

:rofl:

On 5/14/2016 at 9:33 AM, cannastop said:

>Implying that Disney animated musicals aren't Oscar friendly in the music categories.

:rofl:

I'm just saying the Oscar voters' primary demographic is more inclined to support a well-done live-action musical over a well-done animated musical. 

2007 is a great example. "Falling Slowly" beat the songs from Enchanted. Any other year, Enchanted would have won Best Original Song, but Once came out in 2007, also, and happened to receive critical acclaim. 

On May 16, 2016 at 7:35 AM, mahnamahna said:

I'm just saying the Oscar voters' primary demographic is more inclined to support a well-done live-action musical over a well-done animated musical. 

2007 is a great example. "Falling Slowly" beat the songs from Enchanted. Any other year, Enchanted would have won Best Original Song, but Once came out in 2007, also, and happened to receive critical acclaim. 

Falling Slowly was a better song though, Enchanted's music wasn't that great.

18 hours ago, The Panda said:

Falling Slowly was a better song though, Enchanted's music wasn't that great.

Which is probably what will be the case with La La Land/Moana.  

It's not often there's a decent, original live-action musical released by Hollywood anymore, so if La La Land gets some BP/BD buzz, I expect it to win Best Original Song easily. 

5 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Which is probably what will be the case with La La Land/Moana.  

It's not often there's a decent, original live-action musical released by Hollywood anymore, so if La La Land gets some BP/BD buzz, I expect it to win Best Original Song easily. 

I wouldn't jump on that.  There's no reason to think Moana's music isn't going to fantastic, especially if you listen LMM's previous works with In the Heights and Hamilton.  Not to mention LMM is all of the rage right now.

La La Land will need to be more than decent to beat the LMM storm.  Either that, or Moana's music is going to have to be very disappointing (which I'm doubting, but it's possible it having all of the Disney constraints might hold him back a lot.  Which still seems like a stretch given Disney has a strong musical reputation).

There's no reason to believe La La Land is going to get a BP nom anyways, it might, but it doesn't have all the buzz going for it like Whiplash did.

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I wouldn't jump on that.  There's no reason to think Moana's music isn't going to fantastic, especially if you listen LMM's previous works with In the Heights and Hamilton.  Not to mention LMM is all of the rage right now.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell

On 5/14/2016 at 9:28 AM, mahnamahna said:

It'll likely win Best Comedy/Musical at the GG, while Moana won't even be nominated. Plus, it could get nominated for Best Director, Actor, Actress, Screenplay, Sound Mixing and Editing, while Moana most likely won't

I just see La La Land getting more Oscar love, while Moana enjoys tremendous BO success to help top off Disney's already spectacular 2016. 

Um. do you know how many Disney animations have oscar wins for best song? 10. that's just wins.