baumer

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Community Manager

I'm probably the only person who went to see this movie...and I've gotta say that it's way better than I was expecting. It was actually fun for the most part and I think Thor Freudenthal is quickly becoming one of the best directors for good family films (Diary of a Wimpy Kid and now this) that he might be on my Director Watch!.

The film isn't perfect as most of the major emotional beats are terribly written, performed, and at times even over-executed. It understandably feels the need to spell things out for the audience, but considering how this is for kids, I'm not completely holding it against the film. The CGI is very obvious for being CGI.

That said, there are moments where I actually laughed at the jokes (Nathan Fillion killed it in this movie to the point where I wish he was in it more than just like one scene) and the adventure aspect of the film was way better than it's crappy predecessor.

In short, I actually had more fun with Sea Of Monsters than I did with Elysium. It is a huge improvement over The Lightning Thief to the point where I almost wouldn't mind a third movie.

Almost.

B-

P.S.: The trailers made this look WAY worse than it actually was. Pretty uninspired and weak marketing if you ask me but considering how the first movie underperformed, I doubt FOX actually had a lot of faith in the sequel.

P.S.S.: The only reason I saw this movie is because I once knew Rich Riordan a lifetime ago. I doubt he remembers who I am but still.

• Community Manager

You knew him? :o He's like one of my favorite current authors!

I also know the real Connor Stoll (I loved to annoy the hell out of him, also he was fat until one day he suddenly lost all his weight), Mrs. Dodds (she's the kind of teacher you hate because she's a bitch until you realize she has a heart of gold. She made me fall in love with math, fall out of love with it, then made me fall in love with it again), Mrs. Kerr (never had her but she seemed nice enough), Travis Stoll (don't remember him that well but he was cool), and I believe I know the kid Nico [the son of Hades] (he was the class clown if I'm right). I'm obviously not in his books. ;)

• Like 4

I wrote while watching the movie:

the bad

- Everything is poorly made: the scenarios (what was that "greek" mansion in the camp?), the costumes (lol to black clothes with aluminum foil all over it), the effects (Percy standing in the water, geez, they had 90m budget)

- it's just laughlable when they try to mix modern things with visually resembling "greek" things, like the tablet with the "book-of-wood-that-feels-greek" case

- It's sad what they did to Kronos, he should've been Kaiju size and definetly not an detachable Lego. His story was told in WTF way, like "THIS IS A DISCOVERY KIDS SHOW OR WHAT?" WFT type.

- Zombies and Witches in Greek Mythology? like seriously?!

- Luke is terrible villain because Jake Abel is just a plain terrible actor, His plan is also beyond awful: He wanted to kill the gods, he would release Kronos to kill the gods because they imprisoned him, then what?  Luke would be submissive to kronos or he would be eaten by him. Good plan, genius.

- WHY THEY NEED TO INCLUDE A (DUMB and UNFUNNY) COMIC RELIEF IN EVERY GOD DAMN MOVIE?

- the climax is in a park, could this series be any more shit?

- Percy Jackson's series logic: if a little girl dies, obviously, she will continue to age until some resuscitation happens.

the good

- Anabeth is super hot

- the credits were good looking

- the first 5 minutes were OK

D- (20)

Edited by Goffe

Omg. I don't think I've ever been so pissed off about wasting my money on a movie ticket. This movie was terrible. Like, really terrible. If it weren't for my friends that I was with (who are PJ fans) then I would have left half way through. It was so bad that I thought this movie was a parody of the REAL PJ Sea of Monsters movies and we just mistaken this sad excuse of a movie with it. I mean, what was hollywood thinking with this shit? They actually saw this  and thought "Yeah, this is great, let's totally put money into this!" -_- This movie is a joke. F.

Overall, 1/10.

Edited by k1stpierre

i finished watching it 30mn ago and couldnt find the thread so went on imdb for a bit , 

thanks telemachos by the way for link *

i actually enjoyed the movie go figure , its not the greatest film ever made or even just a good one but i enjoyed it and was taken in by it for duration i wasnt distracted or bored enough to be distracted by outside elements i was in my movie and that's always a good thing in my book

it also help that i tried watching RIPD just before and quit 40 mn in because it was that bad 

percy is a great film compare to that and at least here i care enough about percy and feel there is a group camaraderie going on however corny some set pieces and scenes are 

i love nathan fillion , and that's main reason i wanted to see this film even if on dvd and he has a great scene and too bad he's not involved , one thing i think film could have benefited from was at least appearance of one god poseidon 

i laughed at dyonisos being at the end of Zeus grudge that wine thing must be horrible for the mythological demi-god of wines and partying or whatever he is (my greek myth is more than rusty, i remember the days of zena and hercules when i knew so much) 

i figure most kids found this pretty entertaining  i give it a B-

ps: not a fan of annabeth and percy as a maybe couple? i find he has more chemistry with clarisse 

Edited by ladyevenstar22

Rewatched this with a few people in 3D at home. Everybody seemed to like it. It's light hearted, fun, acting's pretty good. I found it actually waaaay better than first time I saw it. That was immediately after I read the book. 

The movie is good-very good till the last 10 minutes. Then  it all goes horribly wrong, because Kronos seems to be so weak. If they followed the book everything would've been so much more convincing. 

But I'm a sucker for fantasy movies and I love this books series to death, so...

B+ / A-