Pinocchio (1939)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

it's hard to know what to think of delightful animated whimsy when combined with trite disney cliches and themes dripping with home-town conservatism, much of which is morally questionable to say the least. ah well...

C-

it's hard to know what to think of delightful animated whimsy when combined with trite disney cliches and themes dripping with home-town conservatism, much of which is morally questionable to say the least. ah well...

C-

I tend to agree that, to a grown-up, the themes and morale seem awfully conservative - however, as a kid, I liked the book and completely overlooked the heavyhanded educative tone.

A similar (if older) book was the (in)famous german "Struwwelpeter", translated into english by Mark Twain as "Slovenly Peter" (there's also a movie adaption). It's about children suffering death or horrible fates following their misbehaviour (like palying with fire, not combing their hair or cutting their nails, not eating their soup ...). Today's jaded parents usually pass out or have epileptic fits when confronted with the funny rhymes and colourful pictures but I've yet to meet a kid that doesn't like them (as I did, too).

C-

Could you expand on that?  I don't think a lesson like do not tell lies is a conservative or liberal theme.

Could you expand on that?  I don't think a lesson like do not tell lies is a conservative or liberal theme.

don't tell lies is hardly the only message, and even that is presented in a conservative way, i.e. an authority tells you not to lie so you shouldn't.

but it's much more than that. most obvious in its absurd preaching is pleasure island, where there's all sorts of sinful behaviour that is severely punished. i think it's pretty clear that disney produces christian-conservative animation, certainly in the 1940s.