#ED

Weekend Estimates - (BO.com forums <3 RTH)

Holy Shit! What the hell? Tyler Perry must be sitting on his throne, surrounded by muscular oiled black men and going "NO! NOOOOOOOOOOO MY MOVIES CANNOT BOMB! ITS IMPOSSIBLE!" while Spike Lee is showing him the middle finger from the window.

Like Spike Lee should be anyone showing any 'tude after his Anti-Django rant fail.

As for why "The Peeples" isn't doing Tyler numbers.  Well they didn't promote it as well, he only produced it and he's not directing it.  It's basically the Black Version of "Meet The Parents" as far as storyline.  They might as well called it "Meet The Peeples".  But wow that's very low especially with Tyler name on it. It seems even black audiences didn't give it that much of a chance with numbers that low.  Tyler Perry is a hugely successful filmmaker especially being African American in Hollywood.  But not all Black People love his movies so people sometimes assume wrong when they think Blacks will support any film he does cause he actually has a mixed reaction in the Black Community as a whole   Spike Lee is a more respected filmmaker as well as John Singleton.  But this is a huge blow to Perry.  "Temptations" actually ended up doing very well for it's budget.  

I haven't actually seen a Tyler Perry movie. Which one should I give a try? I cant judge the guy without seeing his films.

To Me "Why Did I get married" and "Why did I get married Too" were his best films.  I never got into the Madea stuff but my mother and grandmother love him. He's very popular with older Black women for sure. But those films weren't bad.  My issue is his films are very formula driven and have some over the top stereotypes.  He doesn't really take risk story wise to me.  The man has his own media empire and studio.  

I think it's time he broaden up his filmography and do something more challenging.  Then he will get more respect as a filmmaker to me.  What's Tyler's "Do The Right Thing or Malcom X" or "Boyz in the Hood" or "Menace II Society"? He doesn't that iconic film yet that other Black Filmmakers have.  So yes Tyler is a great success, his formula does work for him but IMO the quality of his films have suffered from that formula from a quality standpoint.  

• Like 1

To Me "Why Did I get married" and "Why did I get married Too" were his best films.  I never got into the Madea stuff but my mother and grandmother love him. He's very popular with older Black women for sure. But those films weren't bad.  My issue is his films are very formula driven and have some over the top stereotypes.  He doesn't really take risk story wise to me.  The man has his own media empire and studio.  

I think it's time he broaden up his filmography and do something more challenging.  Then he will get more respect as a filmmaker to me.  What's Tyler's "Do The Right Thing or Malcom X" or "Boyz in the Hood" or "Menace II Society"? He doesn't that iconic film yet that other Black Filmmakers have.  So yes Tyler is a great success, his formula does work for him but IMO the quality of his films have suffered from that formula from a quality standpoint.  

Did he do The Color Purple? For Colored Girls? Some drama like that, I think Oprah helped... ?

Did he do The Color Purple? For Colored Girls? Some drama like that, I think Oprah helped... ?

Steven did "The Color Purple" which Oprah was in and was nominated for an Oscar, I think that was the year Steven got shut out, The Color Purple had 10 or 11 Nominations and didn't win 1 award.  But "For Colored Girls" was that film and yes that was better as far as tone and the cast was great.  But it was a dark drama. 

Steven did "The Color Purple" which Oprah was in and was nominated for an Oscar, I think that was the year Steven got shut out, The Color Purple had 10 or 11 Nominations and didn't win 1 award.  But "For Colored Girls" was that film and yes that was better as far as tone and the cast was great.  But it was a dark drama. 

Are you black?

I haven't actually seen a Tyler Perry movie. Which one should I give a try? I cant judge the guy without seeing his films.

If you want good laughs, do Madea Goes To Jail. Big Happy Family was also a riot in the theater, but I haven't seen it since so I can't tell how funny it is on HV.

btw Is it true that the only way to see a Tyler Perry movies is to see it with the blackest audience possible?  :lol:

Your from Finland that is not happening. Bunch of whities up their and snow 365 days a year. I hope Santa Clause is doing good, I want a PS4 for Christmas.  :P