theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Somebody must have said this even though I haven't seen it, but does any one else think JJ might be a bit overexposed? I can see the Episode 7 news turning of Trek fans since it seems as if JJ's loyalty has waned. People are looking for reasons to explain the disappointing numbers but have we ever seen such a high profile sequel where the director has essentially announced that he is leaving the franchise before the films release? The combination of this and the fact that his name has been placed on so many projects might have made this film less of a must see event and more of "another JJ Abrahms project" and one in which he, himself, seems a bit dispassionate about. I feel this is related to the films performance. Episode 7 kind of replaced this as JJ's next must see film.Also want to add that I am happy JJ is taking on Star Wars since his ability to extend projects off of the big screen was severely limited by the relationship between Paramount and CBS.http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766

I still think that months of Episode 7 news and the implications that JJ was done with Star Trek turned off some of the GA or made them less likely to rush out on opening weekend and, instead, rely more on WOM.I don't think anyone DOESN'T know JJ s doing Star Wars and it made everyone question the future of Star Trek. I don't think this nugget of news or the unique circumstance can be ignored when looking at the box office numbers,.

I completely agree with you. When the news came out that J.J. was doing Star Wars it was like the wind was taken out of STID's sails. And then the guy goes on tv and talks about how he doesn't like Star Trek. I know I lost any interest in seeing this movie quickly after that. And then all the hate for J.J. on forums when the details of the film started to come out. This turned into a "Wait for WOM" movie after all of that and then the trailers were boring as hell and way too dark.

• Like 1

I completely agree with you. When the news came out that J.J. was doing Star Wars it was like the wind was taken out of STID's sails. And then the guy goes on tv and talks about how he doesn't like Star Trek. I know I lost any interest in seeing this movie quickly after that. And then all the hate for J.J. on forums when the details of the film started to come out. This turned into a "Wait for WOM" movie after all of that and then the trailers were boring as hell and way too dark.

Kinda like when a coach announces he is leaving his team for another before the season is over.

• Like 4

Plus, Cumberbatch may have the dark brooding evil voice down pat, but it's not as appealing as Hiddleston's sexy evil voice.

It would be terrible if Cumberbatch had that sexy, evil voice of Loki,

It is just a crowded May.

Im3 has been huge with GA, Gatsby was brilliant counter programming sucking up female audiences and next week it s the trifecta Fast 6-Hang III and Epic.

GA had to make choices and Trek was a priority only with male geeks.

GA doens't see 4 movies a month.

• Like 5

Plus, Cumberbatch may have the dark brooding evil voice down pat, but it's not as appealing as Hiddleston's sexy evil voice.

Cumberbatch has a damn sexy voice. It's his mug that women apparently have a problem with.  Hiddleston on the other hand has a  sexy voice and damn good looks.

• Like 2

I saw that interview with Jon Stewart and I can't believe some of the things he said.  He said he always preferred Star Wars and that he only watched Star Trek when he got the job (that might not be exactly what he said, but that's what came across).  And then suddenly it was his favorite show but he wanted to make it more like Star Wars so that more people who were like him would like Star Trek.  That's kind of a slap in the face to that whole fan base in an attempt to appeal to the GA.  But it doesn't even seemed to have worked.

Edited by VanAuger32

Im3 has been huge with GA, Gatsby was brilliant counter programming sucking up female audiences and next week it s the trifecta Fast 6-Hang III and Epic.

And then we get the biggest film of summer...

AFTER EARTH.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Pretty much this. It came down to mathematics. I said it before that the money was never going to be evenly spread between these films.  One of these blockbusters was going to take a hit. People just don't have the money to go to theatres week after week. Choices have to be made and STiD got the short end of the stick. Its too bad cuz it was a terrific movie.

SATURDAY 4:45 PM, 6TH UPDATE: International for Star Trek Into Darkness from Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions, and director J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot continues way up from the last film with $35M projected for this weekend, led by Russia debuting at $9M vs $2M. That would put the overseas total at a projected $75M through Sunday with just over half of all markets opened.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-3d-opens-to-2m-late-night-and-imax/

Pretty much this. It came down to mathematics. I said it before that the money was never going to be evenly spread between these films.  One of these blockbusters was going to take a hit. People just don't have the money to go to theatres week after week. Choices have to be made and STiD got the short end of the stick. Its too bad cuz it was a terrific movie.

It's too bad that of all films, this has become the victim.