theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

We knew May was going to be a bloodbath. Star Trek was the first victim. Next will be Hangover and After Earth.

Why so sure? Fast Six has the same chance. It can be well reviewed, but so was Star Trek, and look what happened.

Abrams doesn't care anymore. Doing Trek helped him get the Star Wars job.

Not THAT will be huge no matter what.

It is almost like he planned it all along... :ph34r:

SW7 will ake less than TA2. Count on it. It`ll get its over 1B WW but still leg well behind TA2.

IM1, SM1 and TA all had stronger 2nd Friday/Saturday jumps than 1st Friday/Saturday jumps. Friday jump for IM3 fits that category and I'm expecting at least 70% jump today and probably close to 75%.  :D

I feel that you're being optimistic, but honestly, after all that you have called for IM3, I don't want to doubt you anymore  :lol:

In the words of Tony Stark: "Call it, Captain!" 

And even though I'm still not entirely sure, I will just follow blindly  :P

It might not break $200M domestic. Have noone to blame but themselves. Hopefully this means Star Trek 3 (Don't doubt for a second, this won't happen) gets a new team behind the camera.

If Trek 2 fails to make 200 m,, Paramount would sooner make GI Joe 3 than another Trek sequel.

Why so sure? Fast Six has the same chance. It can be well reviewed, but so was Star Trek, and look what happened.

Well-reviewed has nothing to do with anything. Gatsby wasn`t well reviewed but that didn`t stop herds of women and some men from seeing it because the combo of Leo, Bazness, Jay-Z, source,etc did the trick. Not the case with STID.

SW7 will ake less than TA2. Count on it. It`ll get its over 1B WW but still leg well behind TA2.

Agreed here. The last few Star Wars movies didn't even pass 1b (they did, adjusted, but that's something entirely different) and people start to expect Star Wars 7 to gross 2B and things such ass, which would be a over 100% increase... That's ridiculous. It'll be the next Hobbit.

Well-reviewed has nothing to do with anything. Gatsby wasn`t well reviewed but that didn`t stop herds of women and some men from seeing it because the combo of Leo, Bazness, Jay-Z, source,etc did the trick. Not the case with STID.

My point is that Fast Six isn't something THAT big to have a success guaranteed... It has the same chances as STiD to flop.

Many of us had sensed STID would not do as good as most had it at least two weeks ago. There were signs.

So far there is ZERO indicator that FF6 gonna disappoint/underperform at any side. ZERO.
Edited by firedeep

If the next Star Wars features the old gang, it won't be the next Hobbit coz it'll make more than the previous movies, unadjusted of course. Unlike Lucas, JJ knows (or still knows) how to make a good movie. Even the shitty prequels made ton of money.

Edited by Elessar

One thing that might be hurting STID a bit is that word is out that it's actually pretty political and, of course, takes shots at Conservatives.  I know Cumberturd went on and on in a recent interview about how the film hammers Bush.  I had seen the first one and kinda liked it, but when I read the interview, I was completely turned off.

• Like 1

If Trek 2 fails to make 200 m,, Paramount would sooner make GI Joe 3 than another Trek sequel.

G.I. Joe didn't (and it had the same budget as Trek) and it got a sequel. There will be a third Star Trek to salvage it and that cast is under contract for one more.

I knew Star Trek was way over-hyped here but it managed to do even worse than I thought it would. I remember going to see The Hobbit in Imax and the Star Trek preview dragged on and on. It felt like it lasted longer than The Hobbit actually. And besides that God knows Benedict Cumberbatch has a face for radio. I liked the last one but i'll be passing on this one.

If the next Star Wars features the old gang, it won't be the next Hobbit coz it'll make more than the previous movies, unadjusted of course. Unlike Lucas, JJ knows (or still knows) how to make a good movie. Even the shitty prequels made ton of money.

Old gang that`s really old. Unless they create a set of new iconic characters old gang won`t help the matter in general. And either way, TA2`s winning.

I knew Star Trek was way over-hyped here but it managed to do even worse than I thought it would. I remember going to see The Hobbit in Imax and the Star Trek preview dragged on and on. It felt like it lasted longer than The Hobbit actually. And besides that God knows Benedict Cumberbatch has a face for radio. I liked the last one but i'll be passing on this one.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

seriously, you hit the nail in the head on every point and I`m glad i`m not the only one who thought STID opening was terrible, not only compared to amazing, highly emotional ST09 one but terible as a standalone.

Edited by fishnets