CJohn

Thursday Numbers | The Hangover 3 - 11.8M (includes WED night) | FF6 - 6.5M (previews + midnights)

Audiences must've hated Part II a lot more than they hated TF2. That is an embarrassing start for a movie whose two predecessors both cleared 250m.

I remember arguing at the time that reception for TH2 was bad, but a lot of people were saying it wasn't cause legs were decent.

Hangover 2 increased 50% on its first Friday from Thursday without midnights. My guess is that the reason today's estimates dropped from 13-14 to 10-11 was because FF6 killed its late-night shows, so we already know how much competition is coming today. In that case a 50% bump today seems reasonable, and a mid 30s three-day weekend is the best case scenario.Worst case? 10-10-9.5-8.5-6. 41m 5-day :lol: :lol:

Edited by Gopher

So, say 50M 5-days, the budget line 103M probably even in danger ?

Except even 50m 5 day is really optimistic with an 11m OD. OD should be the biggest day for it, based on TH2's performance and the fact it was the only day it didn't have to compete the whole time with F6. If OD is it's biggest day, then it's only hitting 35-40m for the 5 day.

Edited by MovieMan89

I remember arguing at the time that reception for TH2 was bad, but a lot of people were saying it wasn't cause legs were decent.

It's legs were actually pretty bad. It couldn't double its 5 day gross of 135m which usually means a film is extremely frontloaded. Even TF2 managed to do it despite opening to 200m.

TH2 had 5 days of amazing BO grosses. It was all downhill after that.

Edited by blackspider

So, say 50M 5-days, the budget line 103M probably even in danger ?

It's going to do fine overseas, but this is definitely an epic collapse in the US. The only third sequel I can remember that collapsed 50% from the second movie in the US was Matrix Revolutions.

Edited by Mojoguy

It's legs were actually pretty bad. It couldn't double its 5 day gross of 135m which usually means a film is extremely frontloaded. Even TF2 managed to do it despite opening to 200m.

TH2 had 5 days of amazing BO grosses. It was all downhill after that.

True, but it's weekend holds weren't too bad after the 2nd. If TH3 opens to a 40m 5 day and had TH2's 5 day multi it would only finish with like 73m! :lol: