After Earth (2013)  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Even little details are just bad. -random aliens develop a creature who's only sense is to detect human fear. -Will Smith sits in a chair the whole movie trying to put in an arterial stent. -weird ship designs that look like a living ship from Farscape. -generic, we destroyed the Earth and they rub it in by showing pictures of a tsunami. -for some reason their buildings feature random curtains. -a tropical looking rainforest that somehow survives freezing to ice every night. -and no twist.

can't disagree much with the bulk of reviews here , i'm watching it right now , and yes it is boring 

i don't mind will smith take on his character, i get it he's extremely cold and to the point but at least he's trying with his son 

as for the kid awful i agree which is so strange because he was good in " pursuit of happiness" could be smaller kids are more natural actors and don't overthink their performances?

i get what happened with his sister traumatized him but it irks me to no end when a kid can't follow a simple order (just to create drama) ugh and no initiative of his own , stop whinning , i dont understand his behaviour you see him training to be a ranger and here he is in a real situation and you'd think he has no experience even in theory 

everybody knows this when in difficult situation go back to basics see what works and what doesnt

all in all better to be awful now than later on , he can only learn from his mistakes and do a better job 

effects were not terrible , 

LMAO IS THAT MOUNT DOOM did they just scam the visual from lotr for that scene , and mind you i ask because i have seen lotr trilogy an insane amount of times

10 minutes to go and i'm thinking it has to be incredibly frustrating for will smith character to have to depend on such a weak other character who is his son 

i guess this was suppose to be like some initiatory journey for the boy quatar , a self exploration as he discovers himself in a dire situation but the script is of no support to the idea 

i'm just glad its not 2hrs 

and yes not a movie you would willingly or unwillingly rewatch ,too bad 

i'll give it a C+  for trying but not succeeding 

Edited by ladyevenstar22

I my opinion, god awful performances and mind-numbingly stupid dialogue were the biggest problems that the last 3 or 4 Shyamalan films had. Those problems were partially fixed here with the script being written by another person other than Shyamalan and not so bad performances, that might be the reason why I didn't despise the film.

With that said, it's not a good film. It's not as thematically complex as his previous works, a 10 minutes trim is needed, Kitai character arc is not convincing, the self-contradicting script offers numerous inconsistencies and plot holes, the production design is blandly generic, the CGI is a step or two above cheese ball sci-fi flicks from Syfy channel.

What some see as a dull, boring and lifeless film, I see as the first acceptable Shyamalan film in almost a decade. 50/100

Or maybe Shyamalan marathon that I've been doing since Friday lowered my standards