After Earth (2013)  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I be the first. I somewhat kind of enjoyed it. It's not a bad movie just a generic movie with nothing new to the table. Smith is good and Jade when he is not crying is decent.3/5

No M. Night twist? Anywhere...? 

Pretty terrible, as I guess can be expected when it comes to M. Night movies now. There really is very little to the movie.

Father and son still grieving over the death of the daughter/sister crash land on a "class one quarantined planet" (Earth) where the animals have supposedly evolved to kill humans. The dad is badly injured in the crash and will spend the remainder of the time sitting at the computer console monitoring via camera as his son traverses from their crash to where the other part of their ship wreckage fell in order to retrieve and then fire the distress beacon. Son must evade and sometimes do battle with the indigenous creatures of the planet along with properly monitor his oxygen levels and body temp as we're told that the planet becomes exceedingly cold each night to the point that unless he is able to reach "hot spots" before nightfall will kill him.

That's pretty much it and Will Smith does practically nothing for the bulk of the film, a problem when he's the reason most people would even go and see this movie, especially since we got a similar film a little over a month ago in Oblivion except that film actually had more to its plot. Not helping matters is a very lackluster lead performance by Smith the Younger. He's whiny and never once shows any of the charisma that made Daddy Smith such a big star. In a summer with no shortage of sci-fi on offer, there's really no reason to even consider seeing After Earth.

• Like 2

It's not a horrible movie but it's not a very good one either.  The problem with it is that it's just not that interesting.  I didn't really care for either Qatar or his dad (have no idea what his name is).  Smith (daddy) is a cold and stern man.  He lives his life like he works and he treats his kids like they are soldiers and not his offspring.  It's kind of difficult to like him.  As for Jaden, he had a difficult role and at times he was kind of weak. There is one scene where he breaks down and tells his dad that he is the coward and not him.  He has to have a lot of emotion in this scene and it didn't quite work.  But there are other times in the film where he is good.  If you go into this film and try not to hate it, I don't think you will.  Jaden has some good moments and it is his job to carry the film.  Will is off screen for much of it and that leaves it up to Jaden to make you feel for him and to root for him,and it almost happens.  Almost by not quite.  

One of the big problems is that Smith is just not Smith in this.  This is the kind of film that might have benefited from another actor, maybe even a Clooney type because Smith is all wrong for the role.  We want him to be wise cracking, funny, energetic and snarky.  What we get is a bland character with one emotion, not what we want out of Smith.

I didn't hate it, but I'll never seen it again.

6/10

• Like 1

My second job had me working a swing shift and I have it again tomorrow which made getting a movie in this weekend impossible.

Thematically with Jayden does his part in the film play out a bit like Hanks in Cast Away where Earth is the island and his dad(Will) plays the role of Wilson...except here Wilson actually is just a real voice, not imaginary.

Rescue comes...blah, blah, blah.....

Mildly entertaining and imminently forgetable summer movies are a dime a dozen so needless to say I was disappointed that After Earth fit that bill. Its hard to blaim Will Smith for giving his kid all the chances in the world to succeed but its a little much this time. I could write a few paragraphs about the strange amalgamated accents the Smiths affect but I wouldn't even know where to start. I wanted Shyamalan to have a comeback but unfortunately this isn't it.

• Like 1

The  worst made blockbuster ever? Maybe. 

This film is a joke of all jokes. I can even comprehend how bad it was. My friends left me after 30 minutes. The 4 people sitting next to them left 15 min later. Then right after that the couple on my left hand side left. It was basically unwatchable. 

D-

• Like 1

The  worst made blockbuster ever? Maybe. 

This film is a joke of all jokes. I can even comprehend how bad it was. My friends left me after 30 minutes. The 4 people sitting next to them left 15 min later. Then right after that the couple on my left hand side left. It was basically unwatchable. 

D-

That seems like a bit of hyperbole.  I know it's your opinion, but man, this is so far from the worst blockbuster ever.  It's boring and dull as hell, but it was competently made movie.  X-Men Origins on the other hand....

On 6/2/2013 at 3:50 PM, Omega Boner said:

That seems like a bit of hyperbole.  I know it's your opinion, but man, this is so far from the worst blockbuster ever.  It's boring and dull as hell, but it was competently made movie.  X-Men Origins on the other hand....

-

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1