#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

I just explained it. IT DIDNT BREAK OUT OF ITS CORE AS MUCH AS WE THOUGHT IT WOULD. IT WAS THE SAME FOR TREK. Im not spending an entire day watching you go on about multipliers again.

I didn't think it would. You must really LOVE this film.

Hence, "one of" the least attended. But I'm not writing off the chance to go below 2010 yet. At least that month had IM2 and Shrek 4.

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Godzilla (because something's gotta break out, right?), but I think it's that calendar configuration that gives it the edge.

• Founder / Operator

I think ASM2 if marketed well will likely expand as it seems familiar.

Superhero film in early May especially Spider man. 

It could, but I'll believe it when I see it. Every franchise hits a fatigue point and with less than 2 years between sequels, that makes TASM2 a huge wild card.

So 7pm and 8pm sneaks got rolled into Friday numbers? That's pretty lame.

Yep. The way of the future. :(

None of those will pass 450 million 

I'm not even that fond of animation movies, but I will bet you $100 right now, in advance, put it in the bet thread level confident, that Finding Dory hits 450. Seriously. 

• Like 1

lol I did not find ASM that great but like seriously it easily will end up over 260 million guys. 

Looking at the schedule it will be the default choice for the whole superhero crowd that is grown accustomed to watching such a film every May weekend. 

Personally I will watch it as my B-day falls on that weekend and its like a tradition of sorts now for me. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

So 7pm and 8pm sneaks got rolled into Friday numbers? That's pretty lame.

Which makes it kind of funny to learn that AE really did less than 9 mill on Friday alone.  YIKES!!

And I have a laundry list of reasons why Finding Dory is not only hitting 450, but might pull one of the biggest upsets ever and win the entire year.

Agreed. I think Dory could pull #1 and if not then #2. If any animated movie is ever going to pass Shrek 2, it will be Dory. If Dory doesnt do it, I say the record stands.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Godzilla (because something's gotta break out, right?), but I think it's that calendar configuration that gives it the edge.

Maybe so. Maybe I'm recalling 1998's Godzilla a bit too much. :lol:

At the same time though, I also think it could feel like "sloppy seconds" to general audiences if Pacific Rim breaks out like I suspect it will this summer. If that happens, Godzilla stands to suffer--almost in the way of being Battleship to PR's Transformers. In theory.

• Like 1

Yeah, there is next to nothing interesting box office-wise about next summer. Our only little interest is whether the holy trinity of Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, and Jason Statham can give Universal their first 100M OW. If it gets IMAX screens back like its predecessor missed out on, it might have an edge.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Man, what a dreadful weekend for the box office. Only thing I can come up with is that the holdovers were all inflated a bunch last weekend by the holiday.

It's not that dreadful. Edited by lab276

I'm not even that fond of animation movies, but I will bet you $100 right now, in advance, put it in the bet thread level confident, that Finding Dory hits 450. Seriously. 

It could but I dont see it breaking out much past TS3. 

• Like 1

Next summer looks like a real drag to me, sure some stuff might be fun but the only thing I'm reeeally interested in is Guardians. I love the cast they got together for it. Even though I'm not entirely sure it'll do that well.

• Like 3

The thing about Godzilla is that there is a good movie there just waiting to bust out.  But how do you make it good?  How much can really be done with Godzilla?  It's a giant dinosaur that goes on a rampage.  In order for it to be more than that, you need a good human story with good human characters.  Look at it like Armageddon.  It's just a movie about an asteroid about to slam into our planet.  What made that film was Bay of course but more importantly the funny script, the fantastic cast and a brilliant script.  Godzilla will need this to succeed.

• Like 3