Plain Old Tele

Monday Numbers (June 3)

I know, I had built out a spreadsheet template with estimated numbers and I literally did a double-take. Right now it'd hit $399m on July 1st if it follows my trajectory. It's not going to get any easier for it, losing theaters, screens, and showtimes to the upcoming high-profile releases.

I can see it doing well in 2nd run theaters over July 4th, maybe that will be its saving grace. 

Its gonna be close ether way. I think we can all agree 420 has no chance anymore. 

I think there with you on both counts. I'm almost stunned at how much it's slowed down. This is the kind of declining momentum I would have expected immediately after opening weekend, not one month into its run. Really weird situation.

It's not weird to me. It has had several big movies open. 2 opened over 70m and about to gross over 200m. Not to mention Hangover and Gatsby with over 50m opening one will make over 100m and another will get to 150m. These aren't small potatoes. It has to slow down.

I can see it doing well in 2nd run theaters over July 4th, maybe that will be its saving grace. 

Its gonna be close ether way. I think we can all agree 420 has no chance anymore. 

I don't think it has a chance at $410m anymore, let alone $420m.

• Like 3

Wish Star Trek was doing better. I'm actually stunned that it is a film that is disappointing

I thought it was holding up pretty well considering the competition.

IM2 grossed another $20m. That would put IM3 at a pace under $405m, and I don't think it's going to have IM2 late legs.

IM3 under Katniss dom ???

Didn't see that one coming.

Edited by The Futurist

Wish Star Trek was doing better. I'm actually stunned that it is a film that is disappointing

Agree =/ I've done my part, I've watched it four times in theaters... hoping it holds on fairly well for the next few weeks. Thankfully it is doing very well overseas for a ST film

I think it is good but more importantly there is a repeat factor.  You are going to want to see it again just to try to pick up on what you may have missed.  The twist is pretty cool and the movie is a lot of fun.

This exactly. The film is playing just like a mini-Inception or Prestige. Tons of repeat business thanks to the twist and the fun cast. Might see it again myself, even though I didn't think it was amazing.

• Like 1

This exactly. The film is playing just like a mini-Inception or Prestige. Tons of repeat business thanks to the twist and the fun cast. Might see it again myself, even though I didn't think it was amazing.

i saw it twice in 4 days.  The second time I enjoyed it so much more.  It's like I was sleeping the first time I saw it because I picked up on so much more the second time.