Return of the Jedi (1983)

47 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Return of the Jedi

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Scenes with Luke and Vader - AScenes with the Ewoks - D/FOverall I'll give this a B-, it still was really good when the Ewoks were not on screen.The original ending of the film was far more haunting and poignant. Apparently, a major reason George Lucas wanted an overly-happy ending was because of TOY SALES.

“We had an outline and George changed everything in it,” Kurtz said. “Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn’t want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.”

The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone “like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns,

The scenes with the Ewoks don't bother me as much as they used but I pretty much fast forward through that whole section in the village these days. And I find some of Jabba's palace to be a bit silly. However the rest of the film is just fantastic. The final space battle was never topped. And the Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes are among the best in the series. A-

• Like 2

Scenes with Luke and Vader - AScenes with the Ewoks - D/FOverall I'll give this a B-, it still was really good when the Ewoks were not on screen.The original ending of the film was far more haunting and poignant. Apparently, a major reason George Lucas wanted an overly-happy ending was because of TOY SALES.

Lucas needed those bloody toy sales because he was financing the movie himself. His main goal was always to become an independent movie maker. No money from studios and so on. I do my own thing and I pay everything myself.

Definitely the most uneven of the original trilogy, but this is still a really, really good movie. There are tons and tons of memorable moments, and it offers a pleasing ending to the trilogy. Despite the Ewoks. 

4/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

"Rises was very entertaining."

yes in between the parts where I was nearly half asleep.

Not to be rude, but why don't you ever use the "Quote" function when you reply to other posts?

Edited by Jack Nevada

I apologize lol realizing being a bit of a troll.

What I meant is this film does not frustrate you and gives a rather satisfying ending.

I have tried to use the quote function on here but it crashes my Firefox.

Was getting rather annoyed that I had I typed a message and I lose it all after I try to quote something.

I apologize lol realizing being a bit of a troll.What I meant is this film does not frustrate you and gives a rather satisfying ending.I have tried to use the quote function on here but it crashes my Firefox.Was getting rather annoyed that I had I typed a message and I lose it all after I try to quote something.

Get Chrome, dude. Its far better
  • Like 1