#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

....So Ray Subers. Looking pretty prescient right now.

Pretty much ends all debate of how powerful RT score really is. 3 biggest OW's movie scores are 78%, 57% and 71%. Also, strong kudos to WB marketing, they did a splendid job.  :bravo:  :bravo:  :bravo:

• Like 1

I've had a pretty negative attitude towards MOS since the first trailers. Mainly for the divergence from the parts of his origin that I feel are iconic and essential. But I've never said that it would open anything but big though. My question was legs, which, regardless of questionable critical response, early audience reactions so far are mostly positive. Which is surprising to me since most reviews say it lacks the fun element. Can just Superman kicking ass cause positive WOM? So far, it seems so.

Can you elaborate?? I felt that all the main points of his origin are present in the movie. 

I was paying attention to dialogue at first, but then the action took all my focus. What writing didn't you like? Everything hasn't sunk in for me yet.

Lol, I think that was the plan. They tried to distract everyone from the miserable Goyer script with the SFX bonanza! Seems to be working so far! : :P

• Like 1

Yeah, one of the best marketing I have seen from WB, many franchises here are tied to MoS too, so much of stuffs and merchandises... and promotions... and and and... just too much, even KFC too lol.

• Like 1

Anything over 300 Million Domestic was a successful reboot to me.  I know people felt TASM numbers would be fine but to me to make a Statement that Superman is one of the Big Boys on Campus, 300 makes that statement.  If this opening weekend heads down the path I think it's going than DC is really in the fight.  "Justice League" is coming.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

I am surprised you feel that way. Garfield's Peter/Spidey was a far meatier protagonist role than Cavill's Clark/Superman simply because he had far more to do. Also, let's face it, Cavill is wooden, hence why he had so few lines. And MoS Clark/Lois pale in comparison to TASM Peter/Gwen romance. I'd still put TASM over MoS despite the latter killing it in action and effects.

I was talking about the movie as a whole. I like Cavill, he could've been written better but it is what it is. Garfield's Peter is more likeable, but there were a lot other inferior things with TASM. I think critically, but I grade movies more on a "how much was I entertained" standpoint too, and MOS slapped TASM silly.

• Like 1

Anything over 300 Million Domestic was a successful reboot to me.  I know people felt TASM numbers would be fine but to me to make a Statement that Superman is one of the Big Boys on Campus, 300 makes that statement.  If this opening weekend heads down the path I think it's going than DC has finally joined the fight.  "Justice League" is coming. 

It would have to have NEW MOON-esque legs to miss $300m now, and even then summer days would probably carry it over.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate?? I felt that all the main points of his origin are present in the movie. 

Obviously, I didn't have the full story from the trailers, but him as a journeyman worker, his Earth father suggesting he let people die. No Jimmy Olsen, or some other elements I feel are essential to Superman. But, it seems I could have been jumping the gun on some of these and am now eagerly awaiting my first viewing tomorrow to see the entire story for myself and how (hopefully) wrong I was.

I love many films critics didn't so while my expectations are low, I'm still entering the theater with an open mind. Heck, I like  the heck out of Fantastic Four so if that isn't an example of how willing I am to look over flaws in characterization and look at the glass as half full, I don't know what is.

• Like 1

Between Gatsby and Man of Steel, it's clear WB are still the MVPs when it comes to marketing. 

As for Hangover 3... that was more a fundamental flaw with the film itself, lol.

JACK THE GIANT SLAYER had a terrible one.

I am surprised you feel that way. Garfield's Peter/Spidey was a far meatier protagonist role than Cavill's Clark/Superman simply because he had far more to do. Also, let's face it, Cavill is wooden, hence why he had so few lines. And MoS Clark/Lois pale in comparison to TASM Peter/Gwen romance. I'd still put TASM over MoS despite the latter killing it in action and effects.

From what I've stand, I see that both films had their share of criticism, but I do remember everyone loving Garfield's portrayal and his pairing with Emma Stone, so while they are very different characters, but the jury is still out for me to say which is the better film, since Zi haven't watched MoS yet.

Between Gatsby and Man of Steel, it's clear WB are still the MVPs when it comes to marketing. 

As for Hangover 3... that was more a fundamental flaw with the film itself, lol.

Posted Image:P

Edited by sdeezy

Yeah, one of the best marketing I have seen from WB, many franchises here are tied to MoS too, so much of stuffs and merchandises... and promotions... and and and... just too much, even KFC too lol.

My wife makes me watch soap operas and there were commercials during those as well. They must have spent a Lake Michigan full of dough on this.

• Like 2

Anything over 300 Million Domestic was a successful reboot to me.  I know people felt TASM numbers would be fine but to me to make a Statement that Superman is one of the Big Boys on Campus, 300 makes that statement.  If this opening weekend heads down the path I think it's going than DC is really in the fight.  "Justice League" is coming.

Even if it doesn't make $300m DOM I feel that MoS is back to the main league regardless, good reviews or not. Let's just hope for better character development and some true ramifications from his acts in the sequel.